Why I turned off 'Unlock with Apple Watch' on my iPhone

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
With all due respect to Luke, I still think that the "Unlock with Apple Watch" is a terrific feature. I use it almost every day and it comes in so very handy. Of course, I realize the potential security risks, but I rarely hand my iPhone to anyone. That said, I also agree with Luke's point that Apple does need to bring Touch ID back.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, sorry boys and girls, but that IS a specific situation where you unlocked your iPhone via your watch because you were checking a text message on your watch. I’m just not seeing this as an issue.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
First question that comes to mind is; why does the author have to keep unlocking their Watch each time they want to do something on it.
Is he afraid that someone will do stuff without him noticing on the watch while he is wearing it?

Also, you get an aggressive tap alert on your Watch when your iPhone gets unlocked by it, so again, what are you afraid of?

This article reeks of FUD to me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
With all due respect to Luke, I still think that the "Unlock with Apple Watch" is a terrific feature. I use it almost every day and it comes in so very handy. Of course, I realize the potential security risks, but I rarely hand my iPhone to anyone. That said, I also agree with Luke's point that Apple does need to bring Touch ID back.

Face ID has been a PITA for me. It works on first try maybe 40% of the time. The other 60% I have to struggle with. I added new faces in, but it does the same way. I really miss Touch ID. I have 8 apps set up for Face ID, and struggle on those as well.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Face ID has been a PITA for me. It works on first try maybe 40% of the time. The other 60% I have to struggle with. I added new faces in, but it does the same way. I really miss Touch ID. I have 8 apps set up for Face ID, and struggle on those as well.

That’s odd. You don’t have a weird face either, so that’s not the reason it doesn’t work.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I love the feature and use it daily, but I can understand the risks mentioned by the author. If you’re uncomfortable with the feature enabled, disable it.