Imessage sucks

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I love Apple, but iMessage has serious issues. For instance: none of my devices are in sync?messages that show up on my iPhone sometimes arrive a day later or never appear at all on my iPad or Mac, despite having the same setup. There are any number of similar reports in the Apple community support forums.

And since my iPad is wifi-only, it's never going to "fall back to regular text." I simply won't be able to use iMessage. How is this an exaggeration?

If it were so small an issue I doubt iMore would have devoted an article to the subject: http://www.imore.com/imessage-down-again

"Apple's iMessage service, their iOS and OS X SMS- and MMS- like service, is currently down for a lot of users. It's been going down fairly regularly as of late, though not for lengthy periods of time. Game Center, Apple's online gaming service, has also gone down or suffered from poor service over the last week.

Everything goes down. Google goes down. Amazon does down. RIM goes down. Microsoft goes down. We go down. But reliability is a feature and if something goes down or suffers from poor services too often, or even if perception starts to give people that impression, it's a problem."

Last edited:

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
In have my iPhone, iPad, and Mac all set up using iMessage. Outside of Apple outages my iMessages stay in sync on all three devices and work 100% of the time. Maybe there are some issues on your network causing the issues. I had a client who couldn't access iMessage or other apple services when on their network. Come to find out the firewall was preventing these connections.

adm3rd

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
then turn iMessage off.. BBm relies on their servers to work, and if(it does/did) go down then BBm will not work... why not rely on email or a friggin text or better yet pick up a pen and paper and write a darn letter... oh wait... there is a thing called a PHONE.. effin techie cry babies these days

Yes, I can relate to there being a lot of cry baby's on this forum Joey...

There is also a lot of extremely immature people that seem to spend there time attacking those simply looking for answers. Seriously, what is wrong with some of you???

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I love Apple, but iMessage has serious issues. For instance: none of my devices are in sync?messages that show up on my iPhone sometimes arrive a day later or never appear at all on my iPad or Mac, despite having the same setup. There are any number of similar reports in the Apple community support forums.

This is my only issue with iMessages. Inconsistent syncing between iPhone, iPad & MacBook Air. What worse, if I'm lucky enough to received an iMessage that displayed on all three, I may have to delete the iMessages separately on all three.

Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any problems with iMessage. It works perfectly every time.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Same here. iMessage works as it should 98% of the time for me and the 2% that it didn't was due to outages or server problems at Apple that affected a great deal of people.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Same here. iMessage works as it should 98% of the time for me.

I don't think people understand that the fallback when there's limited service or a phone is off is to go to SMS. Everyone complains about that, but that's how it's designed to work so your message goes through. I've never had any issues with it besides the SMS switch, which is a feature and not an issue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think people understand that the fallback when there's limited service or a phone is off is to go to SMS. Everyone complains about that, but that's how it's designed to work so your message goes through. I've never had any issues with it besides the SMS switch, which is a feature and not an issue.

Exactly!...if for some reason, iMessage is down, I am still able to send via SMS.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

The issue with this is that not every device that uses iMessage uses SMS?if you're on an iPod Touch, a WiFi iPad, or a Mac and iMessage craps out, there is no fallback. It just doesn't work.

What I would love to see in that circumstance is an auto-retry feature for iMessages. That simple change would likely solve the issue.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The issue with this is that not every device that uses iMessage uses SMS?if you're on an iPod Touch, a WiFi iPad, or a Mac and iMessage craps out, there is no fallback. It just doesn't work.

What I would love to see in that circumstance is an auto-retry feature for iMessages. That simple change would likely solve the issue.

Right. It only sends when the user is connected to the Internet. iMessage is designed to be used with always-on devices. It's available on devices like the Mac and iPod to make it more convenient to communicate with those devices. They aren't meant to be reachable 100% of the time. For people to be reachable 100% of the time, they need to be on an iPhone or have a cellular-enabled iPad.

GulfCoastToad

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

I don't think you understand. When the iMessage can't send, it doesn't automatically try again as a text message. It just puts a red circle next to the words and takes a ****. That is a major problem for anyone who sends a text and then puts their phone in their pocket without visually confirming that the text went All. The. Way............ Wait For It........ Through.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Right. It only sends when the user is connected to the Internet. iMessage is designed to be used with always-on devices. It's available on devices like the Mac and iPod to make it more convenient to communicate with those devices. They aren't meant to be reachable 100% of the time. For people to be reachable 100% of the time, they need to be on an iPhone or have a cellular-enabled iPad.

I guess that's one way of looking at it. But in my view, I don't see Apple saying that. I've never seen it sold for iPod or Mac as something supplementary to a cellular device. It's more like "connect with anyone who has an iOS device!" I don't mind if some only work on wifi—as long as, when they're on wifi, they work.

I don't think you understand. When the iMessage can't send, it doesn't automatically try again as a text message. It just puts a red circle next to the words and takes a ****. That is a major problem for anyone who sends a text and then puts their phone in their pocket without visually confirming that the text went All. The. Way............ Wait For It........ Through.

Actually it does if you check your settings.
image.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2