My iMac won’t boot /startup

amroose

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
The status bar loads (slowly) but once full, just stays on the Apple and status bar screen.
*did the unplug and plug back in after 15+ seconds (actually had it unplugged overnight) no change
*wont start in safe mode
*started in recovery mode and did first aid and reinstalled OS (3)
* restarted w key commands D and option-D diagnostics came back w no problems
*restarted w command-option-R-P and all that gave me back was the started up chimes
*Let stay on the Apple and status bar screen for 2 hours and nothing changed.
What else Can I do to fix this?!?!?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Might be a hard drive malfunction. Have you tried calling  to ask for advice? I had a similar problem and needed to have the hard drive swapped out. Still have been having issues with it though, but their not as massive.

amroose

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
I did talk to Apple support and they walked me theough the first 3 steps I listed and then I searched for the rest, Apple suggested it be taken in, the computer is only 3 mos old and hasn’t been used heavily. So I was trying to resolve the issue myself before I had to pay someone.

dcoke22

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
If it is only 3 months old, it is probably still under warranty. Most Apple machines ship with a 1-year warranty. It is a PITA, but making an appointment at your nearest Genius Bar is probably the fastest way to get back to a working computer. https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/#mn_p Since your machine is likely still under warranty, I'd think the cost would be zero.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I did talk to Apple support and they walked me theough the first 3 steps I listed and then I searched for the rest, Apple suggested it be taken in, the computer is only 3 mos old and hasn’t been used heavily. So I was trying to resolve the issue myself before I had to pay someone.

They should swap out the hard drive for free if it’s only three months old. It’s still under warranty.