Best iMac backup solutions

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So as a new proud Mac owner there's a lot of new stuff I'm getting used to. One of which is finding the best way to keep my iMac backed up. Do I use a offsite service like back laze or crash plan? Do I roll with my own external drive? How big of a drive should I get? Which one? If anyone can offer there advice or tips, I'd greatly appreciate. I was thinking of maybe just getting a WD My Book 4tb external desktop drive and use that. Is that too much space?

Vinu Jacob

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
A time machine would be the best solution. Designed by Apple for apple devices. If you do go with a third party solution, you want at least 150 to 200% of your primary storage as your backup solution so that you can do a full backup as well as multiple incremental backups over time.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A time machine would be the best solution. Designed by Apple for apple devices. If you do go with a third party solution, you want at least 150 to 200% of your primary storage as your backup solution so that you can do a full backup as well as multiple incremental backups over time.

So if my computer has a 1tb fusion drive, I should be looking at 3 or 4 TB drives then?

Vinu Jacob

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
a 3TB drive should be fine for the lifespan of your machine, unless you are planning on a high output of video production, causing you to generate a flood of data that has to be protected.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I use Time Machine, but those drives can fail, so I have a backup with Backblaze as well. I mostly use the Time Machine backups, but now and then I'll go into Backblaze for a single file or two.

If my drive fails, house burns down, whatever.... I still have everything off-site.

Cheap peace of mind :)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I use Time Machine, but those drives can fail, so I have a backup with Backblaze as well. I mostly use the Time Machine backups, but now and then I'll go into Backblaze for a single file or two.

If my drive fails, house burns down, whatever.... I still have everything off-site.

Cheap peace of mind :)

Question: I was encrypting the external hard drive I had, but learned that since it was 3 tbs it could take days to do. So I reformatted the drive in the middle of it encrypting. Is there any reproductions or bad things that could happen to the drive by doing this?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Question: I was encrypting the external hard drive I had, but learned that since it was 3 tbs it could take days to do. So I reformatted the drive in the middle of it encrypting. Is there any reproductions or bad things that could happen to the drive by doing this?

Is the drive working? If it were broken I'm sure you'd know by now.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Right, sorry, just wasn't sure about long term stuff happening to it or something. I just could t find a way to cancel the encryption and figured nuking the drive was the only way

No need to apologize. I'm sure it's fine my friend!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Perfectly fine :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77