How can I back up my iPhone, including photos, without iCloud?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Back up iPhone including photos without iCloud

I'm trying to help a friend and I need to be sure I do not lose their photos. Here are the details:

1. iPhone 5s running the latest OS. Computer is a PC, running the latest version of iTunes. They are upgrading to an iPhone 6. For their own reasons, my friend does not want to use iCloud.

2. I know how to back up and restore the phone using iTunes. What I don't know, or am not sure of, is are the photos included in this back up?

3. If the photos are not included in the backup, how can I back them up on their PC and then restore them to their new phone.

I did visit the page on Syncing but didn't find answers to my specific question.

Thanks all!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Back up iPhone including photos without iCloud

Have your friend download Box and/or Dropbox and upload all photos and videos to those apps. They don't need to activate a new phone from a back up. It's actually better not to. Do they have an iCloud account?

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Have your friend download Box and/or Dropbox and upload all photos and videos to those apps. They don't need to activate a new phone from a back up. It's actually better not to. Do they have an iCloud account?

Thanks. Yes they have an account but are dead set against storing their photos there. If I move the files to Dropbox, is there a way to put them back on the new phone?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Back up iPhone including photos without iCloud

Thanks. Yes they have an account but are dead set against storing their photos there. If I move the files to Dropbox, is there a way to put them back on the new phone?

Yes, but it's one at a time. I have most of my photos on Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive. I just leave them there. I can view them just as easy as the stock photos app. In Box I have folders ( or albums) set up. By default, iCloud backs up the phone when it's plugged in and asleep. So their photos may be backed up. They would have to turn it off.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

To answer along what was already told to you - Download Dropbox to the phone after you take care of doing as instructed with the photos/videos. Log in to dropbox using same info as setting it up to upload the photos. They should be there and that would be it. You won't I do not believe be able to put them in the Apple Photos app but you will at least have them on dropbox. I go one step further and use the companion app for dropbox called Carousel that is strictly for photos and work great right along dropbox. You can find it in the app store. Type in Carousel for dropbox in the search bar

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Thank you everyone. It took some doing but I was able to convince my friend to use iCloud. Made the process a snap.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77