2 Step Authentication No Longer Requiring Verify?

spcurtis81

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So I'm a bit confused...

Before 2 days ago, to access the icloud.com website from a Windows PC...
  • I signed into icloud.com from Chrome on a Windows PC's using my Apple ID and password.
  • This would then take me to the icloud.com website however everything would be locked and a message would request that I verify my login.
  • I would select my iPhone and would then receive an SMS with a 4 digit code.
  • I would type this code into icloud.com and would then be granted access.

However now...
I sign into icloud.com the same as before using the same equipment and login details except this time, it goes straight in with full access. I.e. No verification.

Maybe I missed a communication from Apple changing this procedure but I don't remember it but after an hour on the phone to Apple Support, I have been told that this is normal procedure now.

If this is the case then I guess that is fair enough (as who am I to argue) but this seems less secure that the old SMS process.

Can anyone else clarify if they have seen a similar change or if they are still receiving the SMS based authentication messages when logging in, in this manner.

Also, for the record, I have carried out the following steps to counter this new behaviour...
  • "Signed out of all devices" in the browser.
  • Clicked the normal "Sign out" in the browser.
  • Deleted browser history, cookies, passwords... basically everything.
  • Tried in incognito mode.
  • Tried in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

ALL of which produce the new behaviour.

Am I missing something or is the new procedure the same for all out there.

Thanks.
Ste

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I get prompted to verify my account once on each machine I connect from. I have not been prompted multiple times though.

Did you check your security settings for your account. It might be an option there.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I hopped onto my Win 7 PC and logged into iCloud and there was no 2 step authentication. I thought the 2 step was only for those logging into iCloud on a new device for the first time, after which it's just a normal login procedure?

spcurtis81

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess there must have been something I had been doing before such as ignoring a "trust this computer" message which caused iCloud to repeatedly request verify. The last time I logged in I must have made a change to this although I don't remember doing so and I'm surprised it effected two systems.

In addition to this, one of the systems I log into my iCloud from the most is my work desktop and I was keen NOT to make this a trusted system.

Incidentally, would you expect an incognito or private browser session to request verify as it should not be able to tell that it is a trusted system?

On a positive note, I don't need to be concerned that I'm any less secure than the other security respecting Apple users out there.

Cheers again,
Ste

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77