iCloud backup space

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. I was using approx 4 GB of my I cloud backup space. I went ahead and deleted 2 gb of photos off of my phone. When it backed up last night, it still shows 4 gb being used. Shouldn't that decrease be Use I removed the photos off of my phone? I am backing up photos, I have that option slider as yes.

NPBeck79

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Did you also delete your photos from the iCloud? I mean, did you enter iCloud and turn off photo stream? This of course applies in the case you deleted your photos from your camera roll. If that is the case, then iCloud keeps the backup unless you enter iCloud through settings and turn off photo stream. Then a message will pop up saying that this will delete all your iCloud stored pics.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Did you also delete your photos from the iCloud? I mean, did you enter iCloud and turn off photo stream? This of course applies in the case you deleted your photos from your camera roll. If that is the case, then iCloud keeps the backup unless you enter iCloud through settings and turn off photo stream. Then a message will pop up saying that this will delete all your iCloud stored pics.

I do not have iCloud My Photo Stream enabled. I only have Shared Photo Streams enabled. I did delete them from my camera roll but like I said, the amount used for my back-up last night remained the same. Confused.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Delete the back up then force a it to back up and see what size you get

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
That is what I ended up having to do and that works fine, however, that does not seem to be the exact functionality one would expect with differential back-ups I would guess.

caldersdad

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
If you use iMessage, all the attachments you've ever received are still on your device, even if you've deleted them. Try a free file explorer and navigate to the SMS/Attachments folder and you'll see them. This not only fills up your iCloud space (due to the Backup size), but fills up your device, as well. Apple needs to provide a way to turn off backing up of iMessage, and a way to permanently delete iMessages instead of just hiding them. Except that this method is quite profitable for them!

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I am having issues with iCloud space when nothing is being backed up (all turned off, incl camera roll). I downloaded the file explorer and saw that there a ton of attachments (SMS/MMS not iMessage) in the backup and I have long since deleted them from the phone and no longer need them in the backup. Can this be what is taking up the iCloud space? If so, how do I remove from the phone and backup? (Already deleted the iCloud backup and re-backed up numerous times but the space is still taken up. The issue is that the phone is holding on to something almost 5gb in size). Thanks so much.

Last edited: