help a newbie? my icloud wont back up..

tracygirl2222

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.. I'm trying to back up my phone after returning from a vacation (3 weeks) I'm back home (at my computer) and on my wifi and I can find the part where it says "backup now" but when I press it it says I have to be connected to wifi (I am) locked (?) and plugged in (I am but not sure why) Once I got to a part that said it would take 12 hours then it craps out again.. :0( not the most computer literate either.. Oh, I SHOULD say that I have a 3Gs..

and that its black..? ;0) (kidding about that part)

Thanks for your time/help..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi :)
I'm trying to back up my phone after returning from a vacation (3 weeks)
Okay. I hope you had an enjoyable time.
I'm back home (at my computer) and on my wifi and I can find the part where it says "backup now"
This is sort of confusing, but I am assuming you are referring to backing up your iPhone to iCloud and not your computer. Right?
but when I press it it says I have to be connected to wifi (I am) locked (?) and plugged in (I am but not sure why)
I do not know your skill level so don't be offended by my questioning, okay? Are you saying that your iPhone is connected wirelessly to your Wi-Fi network? If so, good, if not, it needs to be. Your iPhone does not need to be connected to your computer or a power source unless your battery is low. If your iPhone is indeed connected wirelessly to your Wi-Fi network, all you should have to do is navigate to Settings/iCloud and then scroll down and select "Storage & Backup" . Afterwards, scroll down, make sure that iCloud Backup is turn ON and then select "Back Up Now" at the bottom of that same screen.
Once I got to a part that said it would take 12 hours then it craps out again.. :0( not the most computer literate either.. Oh, I SHOULD say that I have a 3Gs..

and that its black..? ;0) (kidding about that part)

Thanks for your time/help..
It should not take you 12 hours to backup your iPhone to iCloud unless you have dial-up internet or creepy slow DSL.

Reactions: tracygirl2222

tracygirl2222

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Offended? Good grief no - appreciative of the help.. :0)
This is what was happening:
Yes, physically plugged into my computer (with my wifi on) and trying to backup my iphone. I found/did the settings/storage thing and was able to find the "back up now" button on my phone but when I press it it says: "Estimated time remaining..." (and appears to be thinking) then it eventually says "Backing up .. About 11 hours remaining" then it stops and says "back up could not be completed" "last successful backup was 3 weeks ago"

I did this for umpteen unsuccessful tries thinking that maybe an incoming txt has interrupted my process. Then, for no explicable reason, today success..!! (incoming txts and all) I dunno what happened - could it be that I just had so much stuff (videos and such) to back up that it sporadically took that long? maybe stopping and starting whenever I got in and out of my wifi range?

Thanks again for all your help..

:0)

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
So did you back up to your iTunes on your computer via the USB connection or to the iCloud via wifi? I got a bit lost in your post. Lol

Sent using Tapatalk

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
im having the same issue. it hasnt backed up to icloud in almost a month. ive tried everything, resynced to itunes, turned icloud off and on again....etc. my ipod will back up just fine over wifi, but my iphone wont. any other tips?

EDIT: disregard, i was finally able to get it to back up. i had to delete the old backup that was last performed on aug 5th, then hit back up again and it worked.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl