Restoring via iCloud?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Anyone else find restoring via iCloud pretty much useless? Point being is that it does not back up your photos (unless all you use is photo stream) and it does not restore music that you have gotten from other places than iTunes. I'm sure there are a ton of you who strictly will use this feature but for me it's just not feasible.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. In my experience, all it needs is some sort of smart connection to say, "hey, I have all this save data, playlists and such, let me check the computer first to see if I can get the missing apps/music from there."

If it can do that, instead of just going to iCloud to redownload ALL my installed apps first without me telling it to, it would work fine. As for your situation Jeremy, I didn't experience that issue.

Hopefully it gets better....

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
When you reload the device doesn't it ask you if you would like to restore form a backup? It did it on my iPad for beta 1. I guess now you moved your backup to iCloud but you should still be able to backup through iTunes if you wanted too. I'm sure at primetime it will have to work or alot of people will be pissed off.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
When you reload the device doesn't it ask you if you would like to restore form a backup? It did it on my iPad for beta 1. I guess now you moved your backup to iCloud but you should still be able to backup through iTunes if you wanted too. I'm sure at primetime it will have to work or alot of people will be pissed off.

Yes it does. But in beta 1 when I synced to iCloud, the iTunes backup never worked again. It only retained my last 4.3.3 update. iCloud took the helm. I just want it to be able to restore settings from iCloud, but know that the not yet loaded apps/music should be pulled from my laptop, not iCloud. Otherwise it'd take forever to download about a gig of my installed apps from iCloud, not to mention the SERIOUS performance problems when it does. Also, I don't have my music synced online and don't plan to when the final version is out.

Then again, it's still beta 2. I am sure Apple wants to get iCloud right and avoid the iOS 2.0/MobileMe fiasco.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's still in beta. Expect a more finished product in the fall.

They will never backup music not purchased via iTunes to the cloud. Or your photos that are saved on your computer. Unless of course you pay for more storage space but even then it's pure speculation on my part.

Don't get me wrong the backup works fine with apps and settings but restoring via iTunes is just more complete with photos, movies and music.

jon01

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
yeah i noticed it doesnt back up app data either. maybe its something the devs have to include in an update?

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
If iCloud won't back up music not purchased from iTunes, then I won't use iCloud to sync my device. Only about 3-5% of the music I have on my device (over 4,000 songs) was purchased from iTunes, and I don't plan on repurchasing the other 95-97%. Thanks Jeremy for reporting this, I will definitely use iTunes for syncing until I get a thumbs up from you on this forum! Is syncing of contacts and calendar events working okay?

xodeus

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a question to this too.
Unfortunately I've made a big mistake and lost all of my vacation photos on my phone. But I was running iOS5 Beta 2, when I shot them and I know that the 1 Gb of space used at iCloud are my Photos in a Backup. Now is the question, how do I get those photos back? I've tried to install iCloud Manager on my PC and hope that they'll automaticly sync to my PC, but that didn't work. I've tried to install iOS beta again on my Phone again and turned all sync on, but they are still online.
So anyone please advice me, how do I get my files from iCloud?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have a question to this too.
Unfortunately I've made a big mistake and lost all of my vacation photos on my phone. But I was running iOS5 Beta 2, when I shot them and I know that the 1 Gb of space used at iCloud are my Photos in a Backup. Now is the question, how do I get those photos back? I've tried to install iCloud Manager on my PC and hope that they'll automaticly sync to my PC, but that didn't work. I've tried to install iOS beta again on my Phone again and turned all sync on, but they are still online.
So anyone please advice me, how do I get my files from iCloud?

So let me get this straight, your photos do not show up in your photo stream? How long ago were they taken? They only stay in the stream for 30 days.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2