iPhones with iOS7 have little dots in the top left corner of the screen to displaying signal strength.

How many dots do you have on your cell phone and what do they represent? The amount of dots will give a general idea of your chances
    on making a phone call. With no industry standards set as to what each dot represents, the variables are numerous. You are never quite sure
    of your exact signal strength or just how close you are to the next level.

The signal reading in the images in this guide represents a low signal strength, e.g. the lower the numbercloser to zerothe stronger the signal.
    -75 would be significantly better than -113 as depicted in the images.

I will show you how to change, step by step, to a more accurate method of measuring signal strength. We are going to use decibels (dB)
    to measure in units of power and intensity.

If you dont like the more accurate method of measurement, just a swipe or tap of your finger across the dB signal and your get your dots back!

[GUIDE] Signal strength -changing dots to decibels-ibabygirlsignalstrength_1.jpg

[GUIDE] Signal strength -changing dots to decibels-ibabygirlsignalstrength_2.jpg

[GUIDE] Signal strength -changing dots to decibels-ibabygirlsignalstrength_3.jpg
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 11-21-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    11-21-2013 04:17 AM
    Very nice job which I am sure many people might opt to switch to this signal reading method. I am going to switch.
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-21-2013 09:36 PM
    Nicely done. This is almost more accurate way to tell signal strength. Been doing this since my BB days
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-21-2013 09:50 PM
    Nice job Elizabeth!
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-21-2013 11:31 PM
    Thanks rdiddy!!
    Entering the Field Test mode has been around quite a long time. I also have had this on many of my phones.
    I think its interesting to note that the code is quite cross platform and not just for an iPhone.
    The purpose of the mode is for diagnostic statistics. I would like to advocate taking a look and 'don't touch anything else' attitude.

Nicely done. This is almost more accurate way to tell signal strength. Been doing this since my BB days
    11-22-2013 12:21 AM
    Cool, thanks trying it out.
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-22-2013 12:54 AM
    Great guide Elizabeth
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-22-2013 03:14 PM
    Cool, thanks trying it out.
    Taz323, it interesting to observe the signal strength in various locations. I had a -67dB today
    11-22-2013 10:36 PM
    Taz323, it interesting to observe the signal strength in various locations. I had a -67dB today
    I'm currently at -91dB while at home...
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-22-2013 11:14 PM
    I'm currently at -91dB while at home...
    I'm at -102dB while at home! Thank goodness for Wi-Fi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-22-2013 11:16 PM

I hear ya, but it doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on my cellular data speeds at all.
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-22-2013 11:22 PM

There is one room in our house that it consistently at -113dB
    Lol thank goodness for Wi-Fi here too!
    11-22-2013 11:26 PM
    I hear ya, but it doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on my cellular data speeds at all.
    That's definitely a good thing!
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-22-2013 11:30 PM
    Oh but it gives the geeky part of us something to ponder at 1am
    11-22-2013 11:31 PM
    Oh but it gives the geeky part of us something to ponder at 1am
    (Laughing)....No doubt about it, my friend...
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-22-2013 11:42 PM
    What always confused me about this and this as a very good write up and guide which I already mentioned....DB for decibels always I was impressioned to measure sound as in the WHO - the rock bad being measured at over 120 DBs and recognized as the loudest band by the Guiness Book of world records. In this instance i suppose you can say that DBs instead of the dots measuring signal strength can be called the same but to me sound in DBs and DBs measuring signal strength throws me off. Oh i know yes what it means but it might give others to wonder too?? Just my 2 cents that does not really mean much I suppose.
    11-23-2013 07:51 PM
    Yea I see that, I'm at -59db at home
    11-23-2013 08:41 PM
    What always confused me about this and this as a very good write up and guide which I already mentioned....DB for decibels always I was impressioned to measure sound as in the WHO - the rock bad being measured at over 120 DBs and recognized as the loudest band by the Guiness Book of world records. In this instance i suppose you can say that DBs instead of the dots measuring signal strength can be called the same but to me sound in DBs and DBs measuring signal strength throws me off. Oh i know yes what it means but it might give others to wonder too?? Just my 2 cents that does not really mean much I suppose.
    Simply put decibels (dB) are used to measure intensity of sound or power level of an electrical signal.
    11-23-2013 08:58 PM
    Great write up!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    11-23-2013 09:00 PM
    What version of iOS was this done in? I used to have the signal numbers but I just ran Field Test the other day and now it's back to the dots. I have iOS 7.0.4 and following the steps, even not turning off the device and trying to do the home button force quit does not work anymore. When you hold the home button it just evokes Siri (or voice assist) and will not quit Field Test.
    Has anyone found a way of getting the numbers permanently in 7.0.4?
    12-14-2013 02:10 PM
    It took me several tries to get it to stick... And it persisted with the first beta 7.1 - and it's still working even after downgrading to 7.0.4
    12-14-2013 02:48 PM
    What version of iOS was this done in? I used to have the signal numbers but I just ran Field Test the other day and now it's back to the dots. I have iOS 7.0.4 and following the steps, even not turning off the device and trying to do the home button force quit does not work anymore. When you hold the home button it just evokes Siri (or voice assist) and will not quit Field Test.
    Has anyone found a way of getting the numbers permanently in 7.0.4?
    Hi stenro! I did this on my iPhone5 also using iOS 7.0.4
    Make sure you are using the "Lock" button on the top of your iPhone not the round button on the face of your iPhone.
    You should be able to swipe the signal strength back to decibels with a swipe of your finger. If it reverts back just follow the same procedure and try more time.
    Remember to power off then power on again. The power off step is needed as apposed to iOS 6 and earlier versions that didn't need to power off completely.
    12-15-2013 02:22 AM
    It took me several tries to get it to stick... And it persisted with the first beta 7.1 - and it's still working even after downgrading to 7.0.4
    Hey kch I have used the Field Test mode on several iPhones and had one take two attempts to accomplish this but was well worth the effort
    It is interesting that a few phones seem to take more than one attempt it accomplish this. I wonder why? I love have my iPhone display the signal strength in decibels...you do too.
    12-15-2013 02:31 AM
    Ok, good, interesting....
    now, do you know a way to do something similar with the little WIFI ikon? that would be more help to me
    and maybe others.I think this indicator
    is really inaccurate !
    12-24-2013 07:12 AM
    At which number are close to having no service? How high does it get? Thanks.
    06-18-2014 12:34 PM
33 12