Swipe to Delete (not Archive) in Gmail app?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I know this was an issue for a long time in the native Mail app, but is there a way to make swiping a mail in the Gmail iOS app bring up the Delete option instead of Archive?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Try Settings>> Mail>> Accounts... select the Gmail account... if you have the option for Archive Messages... toggle it to 'off'

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I know this was an issue for a long time in the native Mail app, but is there a way to make swiping a mail in the Gmail iOS app bring up the Delete option instead of Archive?

I haven't looked into it but what about if you go to Gmail using your desktop or laptop computer and change the archive settings there so that when you archive it goes directly to your trash.?

***Team Jailbreak, sent using TapaTalk
iPhone 5, iPad 2, Apple TV 3, Macbook Air
Tweet @LondonComp ***

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Try Settings>> Mail>> Accounts... select the Gmail account... if you have the option for Archive Messages... toggle it to 'off'

This is for the dedicated Gmail app, not an account using the iPhone Mail app. (Although I did try it anyway; no dice.)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't looked into it but what about if you go to Gmail using your desktop or laptop computer and change the archive settings there so that when you archive it goes directly to your trash.?

Tweet @LondonComp ***

Hmmm...I'd be glad to try it out, but I couldn't find that option in my settings on the desktop. Is it just in the Gmail settings?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by yes it is, but as I mentioned in the post you quoted, I did try changing that setting?it only affects the behavior in the Mail app, not the Gmail app.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by yes it is, but as I mentioned in the post you quoted, I did try changing that setting—it only affects the behavior in the Mail app, not the Gmail app.

Keith is right in the directions he gave you to toggle off the Archive for the Native app. You might go to the Gmail info on Google and find out what can be done with it but with the Gmail app I do not think you can do what you want.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That toggle off thing I only see on my iPhone... because I just changed devices, and no longer have the ability to use active sync... my iPad is still on active sync, and that option does not exist in the stock app to toggle archive on/off... and I have no experience with the Google mail app... don't use it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys...I do use Exchange on four other accounts and am familiar with how to archive/delete on those accounts, but this account is not an Exchange account. It is also the only one I use with the Gmail app instead of the native mail app. If anyone has any experience with using the Gmail app, feel free to chime in!

It may well be that it simply isn't possible.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I was playing with the settings in the Gmail app and can't find any way to change the swipe action to delete, except in the All Mail folder. I'm sure you are aware that you can just tap the little box on the left side of an email in the list and select the emails that you want and the delete button would be at the bottom.

Tweet @LondonComp ***

modifiers

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Swipe to Delete (not Archive) in Gmail app? (use IMAP + CardDav)

Hi. I am currently using the exchange settings, but found out the same issue.... when I delete it archives.

So it seems that the way to go is to use IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV protocols. Disadvantage is that you'll loose push... it'll go to 15 mins cycle.

You can see how to do this from this article:
After ActiveSync: Setup your iOS device to sync with Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts - TechRepublic

Then on a web browser, access gmail. From the web go to SETTINGS--> Forwarding and POP/IMAP

1. Make sure IMAP is enabled.

2. Go to: "when I mark a message in IMAP as deleted" and turn OFF auto-expuge (option selected: Auto-Expunge off).

3. That will enable the ability to select options on the next field, "when a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder".

Now change from the default Archive the message to Immediately delete the message forever.

Perhaps not as elegant as the active sync solution, but if you setup the IMAP+ CARDDAV + CALDAV you'll have all items sync and be able to delete permanently.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the thought, but this thread is about the Gmail app, not using Gmail in the native Mail app.

Godsdragon

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you..

On my iPad mini, it goes like this: Settings>Mail>>accounts> select Gmail> select account (on top--(shows your Gmail address)>select advanced>select deleted mailbox> select done

skottmorris

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
If you make this change, all Archived messages will be Deleted. I want to Archive and Delete. Can you change the swipe action to Delete like Android or is this just a limitation on the iOS gmail app?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll