Does anyone know why iPhones' battery capacities have decreased

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've assumed more efficient hardware and/or more capabilities via SOC (system on chip) architecture. I was thinking much like my new car is an AWD wagon with 4 cyl engine that outperforms what used to be a muscle or sports car.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It was due to a more efficient chip. I still say BS. Why just not have both a more efficient chip and at least the same size battery if not bigger.

Because the goal for Apple is to make as much profit as possible while beating the competition. Period.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It was due to a more efficient chip. I still say BS. Why just not have both a more efficient chip and at least the same size battery if not bigger.

Batteries weigh a lot and the large phones are heavy. I totally appreciate the 12 Pro Max performance and also feel the weight. At same time I have a good boost in battery life. I'd like a lighter phone before more battery life.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
As with others out there, I say it’s because of better chips and software that’s been streamlined for better battery performance.

As far as battery technology, I think we are at a crossroads, they have pretty much squeezed what they can out of the current battery technology.

Once electric automobiles are being used on a larger scale and the money and resources needed to improve the battery technology are available, only then will you see a major leap from what we currently have. Just my two cents worth.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Weight must be an element in final product decisions. In the past week two in the c suite with XS Max expressed frustration over 12 Pro Max as too heavy and 12 Pro as too small. I remain really impressed with my 12 Pro Max battery life and I would not like it if it was heavier.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Weight must be an element in final product decisions. In the past week two in the c suite with XS Max expressed frustration over 12 Pro Max as too heavy and 12 Pro as too small. I remain really impressed with my 12 Pro Max battery life and I would not like it if it was heavier.

I think the opposite ! I would happily put up with a heavier phone, my XS has always felt too light for its size.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Someone with knowledge explain

A post with someone holding some sort of bias or poor information - maybe a gapminder situation if you know the late Hans Rosling's writings.

Each one of my successive iPhone purchases in same plus or max size has brought more battery life doing the same jobs - enterprise admin, personal utility, sports, photos & video. With dozens more devices in my work world (in MDM) I see a similar pattern.

Products change over time. Just like my iPhones do more, I have a small displacement engine modern AWD station wagon that outperforms V8 sports cars and 4x4s I've had in the past. Both products evolved using superior designs and components that were not available earlier. I don't consider the maker of my car greedy for not using a naturally aspirated V8 and old school Dana 4x4 drivetrain.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately mine is not, seems to eat power in large lumps, If I go out on even a short job, I am always startled by how much my battery is depleted when I get back.

You need to look at your battery use and possibly your radio settings. We (IT department I manage) deal with mobile devices at scale and see the 12, Pro and Pro Max have excellent battery life. The few I know with Mini phones do to relative to the phone size.

The only use LTE setting, and boosting WiFi AP signal can help. A few users who complained were using games, apps with ads or video apps that are battery burners. My own 12 Pro Max can drain the battery faster if there's a lot of effort to keep using 5G, and if between meshed access points and hopping between the two.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
You need to look at your battery use and possibly your radio settings. We (IT department I manage) deal with mobile devices at scale and see the 12, Pro and Pro Max have excellent battery life. The few I know with Mini phones do to relative to the phone size.

The only use LTE setting, and boosting WiFi AP signal can help. A few users who complained were using games, apps with ads or video apps that are battery burners. My own 12 Pro Max can drain the battery faster if there's a lot of effort to keep using 5G, and if between meshed access points and hopping between the two.

I have an XS ! which does not have 5g capability.
I do not play games and do not really use my phone at work, It is a listening station, when I am away from my home broadband.
I do suspect my wifi of being overactive but I can’t see any sign of it !

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an XS ! which does not have 5g capability.
I do not play games and do not really use my phone at work, It is a listening station, when I am away from my home broadband.
I do suspect my wifi of being overactive but I can’t see any sign of it !

You can turn your WiFi off when away from home. A newer phone does have the specific to 5G setting that can help but my XS Max could burn more charge up with some app and radio use. No matter what the Apple device or vintage, I look at the Battery in settings, and look at the location and background use.

Good luck.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2