Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
An article from Android Central stating Samsung's only competition is Apple

What's your opinion?

I used Android for 12 yrs Numerous dumbphones
to Samsung flip phoneThen Blackberry to Samsung
Notes. Used 2,3,4,7,then 5
To Apple. 7+

I always thought with all the lawsuits this was the way it was.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
The article makes sense to me. Samsung (currently) leads the Android device market by a huge margin. Is Apple their only major competition? Yes, unless they drop the ball. Will they surpass Apple? I see that as a long shot. Samsung seems to continue to innovate, while Apple continues to deliver a marginal but extremely safe upgrade path. For the majority of the market, the latter seems more valuable.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Will they surpass Apple? I see that as a long shot.

You must mean in the US. Samsung pretty much leads globally in market share.

With that in mind, I think that article is right. There's really no relevant competition left for them in the Android world. Only relevant customers to convert would be from Apple.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I think that's mostly true as things stand today because Samsung are currently the only company making any worthwhile amount of money from selling Android handsets.

On the other hand both Samsung and Apple have large amounts of users who aren't about to jump the Android / iOS fence so maybe in some regards they aren't competition. Apple / Samsung can mess up pretty badly (Note 7 fiasco for example) and it won't automatically send the brand into free fall.

So maybe, to contradict myself slightly, it is the other Android makers...just not with any of the products that are on the market today. What if Google really stepped things up with a jaw-dropping Pixel 2 (or Pixel 3)? What if someone like LG or Nokia unveil something that no one is currently expecting? In these scenarios it would be Samsung customers that would be the primary target I would guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2