Article dated Monday, August 18, 2014 and written by Peter Cohen.
    Just above the sub title "A note on aliases and symbolic links" the author has written: "Once you verify that it's been copied, rename but do [note] delete the original Backups folder (maybe call it old_Backups or something equally descriptive)."
    My question is this: Which folder is the original Backups folder, to be renamed "original Backup", is it the folder inside MobileSync called "Backup" or is it the folder that has a long string of numbers as its name and which appears inside the Backup folder? Could you clarify please?
    BTW, I believe the article is brilliant and I give it 5 stars out of 5.
    Regards, Gareth
    07-07-2015 09:16 PM
  2. Beyond Fire said: Best Answer

Yes it is the folder called "backup".
    Yes it is the folder called "backup".
    07-07-2015 09:37 PM
    I think iMore is THE apple reference site. Love your page on "http://www.imore.com/how-move-your-iphone-and-ipad-backups-external-drive" but I have a problem with it.

Probably pilot error on my part. I re-named the Backup folder on the external drive before I suspected that's not what the author, Peter Cohen, intended. I BELIEVE he meant the folder on the external drive to be left as "Backup"

However, my fast fingers entered his Terminal command line too quickly as his example:
    ln -s /Volumes/Elements/ios_backup/Backup ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup

Which of course is wrong in my case as Peter thoughtfully pointed out and I stupidly missed: the word "External" was his example name which naturally did not work.

I re-entered the correct line substituting the word "External" for the name of my drive (yes, no spaces).

When I try to backup the iphone, itunes insists that it cannot do that because the file "was corrupt or not compatible with the iphone."

Did I do something wrong, or has Apple now blocked the ability to do symlinks for backing up iphones?
    04-05-2016 03:07 PM