I want to keep using ios, but fear lock in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather be locked in to iOS and the Apple ecosystem than not being able to get a major software update when it's released and I have a device that can handle it.
One reason why I never considered sticking with Android. Android just held me over until Sprint got the iPhone.

Making phone calls on my MacBook Air through my iPhone is a dream.

I rarely make calls anymore. It's all text messages. And u don't get a ton if those anyway.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
How is it everytime you have a dilemma about iOS and Android, you have to make it like it is the end of a road or something. Nothing is smoother than an iOS device in my opinion, but if you don't use iOS' services and apps there's no point in recommending it to you. There are a dozen ways of looking at this but you just have to weigh your needs and get the device that fills those needs, and no fan can detract you from that decision process, only you can if you let it.

I treat it like that because these companies are creating lock in more than ever. Apples doing continuity, Google is doing their chrome syncing, Microsoft is doing their windows everywhere thing. If I have a bunch of different devices and ecosystems, that fragmentation could create problems since they don't work with each other.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I treat it like that because these companies are creating lock in more than ever. Apples doing continuity, Google is doing their chrome syncing, Microsoft is doing their windows everywhere thing. If I have a bunch of different devices and ecosystems, that fragmentation could create problems since they don't work with each other.

iOS does Google and Microsoft Office apps.

Android does pretty much Google.

Microsoft does pretty much Microsoft.

Case closed.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Android is getting Microsoft Office as well. You still get Google stuff on a Windows PC.

At this point I don't think anyone here can really help you decide. You have been going on with this for a long while now.

These companies can't lock you in if you don't spend money with them.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
RavenSword you need a flip phone of some kind. Then no worries of being locked into anything except the year 2000.

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Use Google apps to ensure support on the most devices. If you use all Google apps then you can easily switch between iOS and android. The only holdout is Windows phone. Google may start showing them some love if they ever get past 2 users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So just buy everything.

Come on man, this is actually a serious issue I'm having. I mean, I like apples hardware and they make great products. Macbooks, from what I hear because I've bevervowned a Mac before, are pretty much considered the best laptops. And I enjoy my iPad a ton. Its just I'm not sure if uos is a better mobile IS anymore. In able to access more info and data on android, multitasking is better, and so is notifications comoared to iOS. Plus I think google matched apple in design with material design (although how that will translate to my HTC one m8, I don't know. ) and etc. I do still notice iOS having a gaming performance advantage.espeacily now with metal.

But again there's the update problem with android. But its not really as bad before

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Once you are in on a specific operating eco system, there is that small chance of backing out of it. Since I tried Blackberry, Windows Phone, Android and iOS; i prefer iOS and Mac better, so I am just going to stay where I am at. I know how my iPhone, iPad, Macbook air, and apple tv works, so I will work with what I know.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have a kinda good grasp on what each OS can do.

As far as functionality in the OS, I do think android does more. You can choose defaults for web browsers, email, text messenger, etc. which I think is cool. I also think changing launchers is pretty cool. I think it's neat that you can change the feel of your phone on the fly. Also, I do like that it's more open. In the sense that I like that I can incorporate it into a mix and match tech work load and it should work with most things. Of course, I guess iPhones the same. But I still feel like you feel you need to use it with other Apple stuff instead of a mix and match setup. But this may be my weird skewed perception.

However, android still has this multi headed hydra thing that I don't like too much. I know that having all these OEMs make android their own way is considered a good thing by a lot of android fans, but I find it annoying and frustrating, especially when I really like the look of material design, but my htc phone won't get the look because HTC does their own thing. You get the backend stuff and behind the scenes stuff, but still I'd like to get that great looking design. And I can't unless I root and put in the GPE ROM or something, and I'm not gonna do that.

Also, the performance still isn't there. You still notice little hitches in android and frame rate dips in games compared to iOS. But it's better than its been in the past. Also, I do think the quality of apps is still better on iOS, but I also do t think android apps are so bad that this may be a deciding factor.

Also, the gorgon knot that is android software updates on carrier phones goes without saying in its frustration. But to be fair Google has done all they could and have made their stuff more modular and put most of the apps in the App Store to be updated instantly. Also, play services does great stuff to help this too. But still, big releases like lollipop remind me of the update frustration with android on non nexus devices.

And as far as tablets go, I still think iPads are best.

So those are my observations of both. I do have to say that I'm used to the m8s larger screen now compared to my 5S that's it's hard to go back I think. But that's what the new iPhones are for. But those aren't a option right now.

So again, both OS's have their appeal to me. I think though that since I don't root or rom maybe the polish of iOS appeals to me. I'd rather have that and fast updates than random updates times and weird little hitches. But then I think about the agnostic nature of android and that I can choose how it looks and works with root or hacking, and that appeals as well.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I was gonna buy a new house but didn't want to be locked in on it. What if I saw another house I liked better? Same thing with a car. I'll just keep taking the bus. But then I think I'm locked in to taking the bus. I have to get google maps because it has my bus schedule. And everyone knows android has the best maps. I can even set it up as default. But what if I do want a car?

It comes with CarPlay and that would lock me into getting apple devices. Sure I could still use google maps but something would just compel me to want an iPhone then. For the CarPlay.

But then I think do I really want to be locked into a car with CarPlay? I'd always have to buy apple. Wouldn't it just be better to take the bus?

Oh well none of this matters because i can't afford a car and never even owned a Mac. As it is I have this phone that I burned my upgrade on so I have to wait another year.

But still I worry about being locked in and just don't know what to do. Take the bus? I don't ever call anyone but I do think carrying two phones is essential for me. I got a big screen android phone that I never will root but still think about what if I did. But I won't.

And yet I keep going back to how smooth my 5S is. The apps are better. But not much better. And I'm stuck thinking I need a Mac even though I never used one.

Should I get an iMac or a MacBook Pro? I figure if I'm taking the bus then it might be better if I could take the laptop with me. And of course my 5S since I'd feel compelled to do so. But would I take my android phone? I love its bigger screen. Oh well I guess none of this matters since I can't get the MacBook until sell my android and can't do that til next year because I burned my upgrade on it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was gonna buy a new house but didn't want to be locked in on it. What if I saw another house I liked better? Same thing with a car. I'll just keep taking the bus. But then I think I'm locked in to taking the bus. I have to get google maps because it has my bus schedule. And everyone knows android has the best maps. I can even set it up as default. But what if I do want a car?

It comes with CarPlay and that would lock me into getting apple devices. Sure I could still use google maps but something would just compel me to want an iPhone then. For the CarPlay.

But then I think do I really want to be locked into a car with CarPlay? I'd always have to buy apple. Wouldn't it just be better to take the bus?

Oh well none of this matters because i can't afford a car and never even owned a Mac. As it is I have this phone that I burned my upgrade on so I have to wait another year.

But still I worry about being locked in and just don't know what to do. Take the bus? I don't ever call anyone but I do think carrying two phones is essential for me. I got a big screen android phone that I never will root but still think about what if I did. But I won't.

And yet I keep going back to how smooth my 5S is. The apps are better. But not much better. And I'm stuck thinking I need a Mac even though I never used one.

Should I get an iMac or a MacBook Pro? I figure if I'm taking the bus then it might be better if I could take the laptop with me. And of course my 5S since I'd feel compelled to do so. But would I take my android phone? I love its bigger screen. Oh well I guess none of this matters since I can't get the MacBook until sell my android and can't do that til next year because I burned my upgrade on it.

Nailed It.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site

So, I think I get the point your making. But you gotta understand that's just how my mind works. I tend to just analyze things and future outcomes.

Also, not sure where the bus and car thing came from. I do own a car.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, I'm going back to the 5S. Although I'll miss the m8s big screen, I think there's more that appeals to me on ios.

That said, I still want to use my roku instead of apple TV. At least until apple can get a type of channel store and updates UT. I just like my roku better. I also think chrome cast is cool.

I mean, it's not like I HAVE to go all apple.

And while I'm bad I Byrnes my upgrade, I shouldn't beat myself up about it I guess. What's done is done and I'll just get the 6S next year or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2