• Other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate all the responses so far. :) It's interesting that some of you have dual-booted your devices. I've considered putting in Linux (Crouton) into my Chromebook, which if I do that, then I cover just about all the desktop OS bases. :p Keep your responses coming!

PhamQu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
2013 Lenovo IdeaPad y510p
15.6 incher, 4700mq, haswell, 16gb ram, SLI (double) 2gb 750m
Would you believe I snagged this for $1000? :D
photo.JPG

Upgraded from 3gs to 5s. Also iPad 2, jailbroken on iOS 6.
I prefer Apple's mobile OS, but not their Mac OS. Not at all.

Last edited:

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Dell Inspiron N4110 running Windows 7 Ultimate. Downgraded from Windows 8 because I got tired of the childish UI and lack of WiFi control settings. Installed a beautiful backlit keyboard on it last month works like a charm :)

Sent from my Twitter Machine running iOS 7 using Tapatalk.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I used to run crouton on my Samsung 3 chromebook but I found that I didn't boot into it that often. I've been contemplating a Mac Mini but it is about $300 more expensive than my preference (a $300 laptop running Debian).

Right now I only own a Samsung 3 Chromebook.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I have an iMac which is approximately 3 years old for a home computer, and an Acer laptop running windows 7. I cant stand windows, but it was a gift so I'm not going to complain. The laptop never gets used hardly.

fluppyboy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I am all Apple, and have been for quite a few years now (IIRC, I switched in 2004/2005).

At the moment, my main computer is a tricked out mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13 inch 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 (non-retina): I installed a Samsung SSD and 16 GB of RAM ? this machine is now seriously fast! It is almost exclusively being used with a 27 inch external monitor, so the lack of retina display is no big deal. I am a photographer, and regularly deal with and process large amounts of photos, so the extra RAM is handy. I have now installed OS X Mavericks and am curious to see how much better the memory management will be.

My other computer is a 2009 iMac 24 inch, which has also been tricked out with a Samsung SSD. The iMac is mainly acting as our media server, serving our Apple TVs (yes we have more than one :)), our various iPads, iPhones and one other MacBook.

I will be receiving two more old MacBooks in the near future. One of them is the original Macbook from 2005 (still working perfectly, but not in great shape), and the other is 2008 MacBook Pro 15 inch with a nonworking screen (I have a spare 24 inch external monitor that I could use with that one). I would like to put them to work, but since I already have a media server, I'm not sure what exactly they could be doing. They are not worth selling, so if anyone has any suggestions for what these two machines could be doing for me, please send me a message with your ideas. I would love to put them to work for me! :)

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I used to run crouton on my Samsung 3 chromebook but I found that I didn't boot into it that often. I've been contemplating a Mac Mini but it is about $300 more expensive than my preference (a $300 laptop running Debian).

This may be more than what you're willing to spend, but have you considered the System76 (Ubuntu) laptops or desktops?

https://www.system76.com/home/

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
This may be more than what you're willing to spend, but have you considered the System76 (Ubuntu) laptops or desktops?

https://www.system76.com/home/

I'm intrigued but rather done with Ubuntu. I'd rather a minimalist Debian with XFCE. I really only need the machine for disc ripping (plenty of physical media music I need to rip) and light office work. I love Chrome OS but I hate Google Docs with a passion. I miss LibreOffice.

Kinda need BD though. I've got a gorgeous monitor that I'm wasting on an old chromebook that has trouble streaming HD video

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Adenohedron

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Custom Built Desktop with Windows 8.1 64bit at home and a Dell Latitude 10 I use for notes and mobile computing. Its nice to plug in my hdmi cable into my Dell tablet PC and hook up my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for a desktop feel in the lab ��.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77