Roaming and how to control it.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I would like to educate the community about roaming. I have heard many people turning on Airplane mode when roaming. That is not necessary at all. I travel many times through out the year. I have never had a big bill if i had a bill it would be $20 or less worth of charges.. The way is to leave Mobile Network ON But leave Data Roaming OFF. At this point you will be able still to get incoming calls and texts. You dont get charged for incoming texts.You wont get charged for incoming calls aslong you dont answer them. But if you do answer texts or calls roaming rates can be easily trackable and controlled. Also it another good idea to maybe buy a travel pack if you want..

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Data Roaming, for a lot of people, should be disabled, but for some it may be necessary to have it enabled.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm very confused about data roaming. I'm in Verizon and my data use is not considered roaming anywhere in the US. I guess if you travel out of the country, it may be an issue. If anyone can clarify roaming on modern networks for me, I would appreciate it.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm very confused about data roaming. I'm in Verizon and my data use is not considered roaming anywhere in the US. I guess if you travel out of the country, it may be an issue. If anyone can clarify roaming on modern networks for me, I would appreciate it.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

You're not confused, sir, and what you stated is correct. It is the same for me, but some people are still on old plans or on carriers that still charge for roaming.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about outside your country roaming. The steps I outlined on my first post is very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Is that a Problem?

If you do it excessively: "Bumping - Bumping a thread means to post an innocuous reply to a thread in order to "bump" it to the top of a forum. Excessive bumping is prohibited, and is limited to once per 24 hour period."

(http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.html)

But usually people do it because they're trying to get a question answered, and it doesn't seem like you're asking anything. Just want to make sure you got all the info you need.

By the way, I'm not sure your statement about not being charged for incoming texts/calls applies in all countries or on all plans. I would definitely suggest people check with their carrier before following this advice.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just giving out helpful pointers. As most plans and carriers work this way.
I don't like buying prepaid sims as it changes your # and no one knows you... I do what I said above and never had a bill unless I used the service..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask where you're located?

Edit: the reason I ask is because of issues like this, from AT&T's International Roaming FAQ:

Q. How am I charged for voicemail calls while roaming internationally?

A. Voicemail calls are charged as follows:

When your device is on:
Calls that you do not answer that are routed to the AT&T voicemail system will be charged as an international roaming incoming call to your device.
In addition, the foreign carrier's routing of that call to the AT&T voicemail system may generate an outgoing call charge from your device's location to the U.S.
These charges apply even if the caller disconnects from the voicemail system without leaving a message.

If your device is turned off or in flight mode and the wireless network is off:
When someone tries to call you, the call will go directly to your personal voicemail greeting.
Since the network does not try to deliver the call to you in a foreign country, there are no international roaming charges.

When receiving Visual Voicemail messages on your smartphone or Apple? iPhone?:
Visual Voicemail messages received when roaming outside of the U.S. will be charged at international roaming data rates, either at the international pay-per-use data rate or against your smartphone or iPhone international data package.

Now, I'm not an expert, and it could be that turning off Data Roaming does indeed curtail some of these charges?but I would definitely double check with my carrier before leaving.

Last edited:

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
In located In Toronto Canada.
Yes also you need to disable Voicemail when roaming. Unless you buy a travel pack then the minutes will be deducted from your travel pack minutes.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes you don't get charged for incoming texts. For the calls part but a travel pack so if you get a voicemail it will be deducted from the travel pack minutes. And then your covered for all the charges! Just remember to leave Data Roaming OFF.

This is the way I handle roaming aboard. As I don't like prepaid sims and like my own #.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I think you do get charge for incoming call even if you don't pick up. When I had Nextel back in the day. I was in the Dominican Republic and sometimes I will call my self. (I know but I was young). I had the i930. So when I came back. I called Nextel and I found out that I had 100 dollars of international. I was like but I only called like twice. They said when I get incoming calls they have to forward them to that Carrier tower and then I get the Incoming call. They just credit me back.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Did you have voice mail? Because usually how it works is incoming calls are free as long you don't answer but if it goes to voicemail if you have it then you will get charged the whatever the rate is per minute. For texts as long you have some kind of texting plan that you use back home you won't get charged for incoming texts. But outgoing you will.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Did you have voice mail? Because usually how it works is incoming calls are free as long you don't answer but if it goes to voicemail if you have it then you will get charged the whatever the rate is per minute. For texts as long you have some kind of texting plan that you use back home you won't get charged for incoming texts. But outgoing you will.

I cannot remember. But I think I did. Bc it was so long ago. But I think I let it go to voicemail. Bc my Nextel change to orange. But yea.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The Nextel rate for International was like 2.50 per min in the Dominican Republic.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ya voicemail was your problem probably. Because you don't get charged for incoming texts or calls . I buy a travel pack when I leave so if I get a voice mail it deducts my minutes from the pack.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77