when you pay ETF after a month use, are you really off the hook of contract?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Does it actually work when you pay for a 2 yrs contract price, then after a month use then pay the ETF of $350 and you are off the hook?

Considering frys, wallmart, Best Buy (via Price match) is selling iPhone 5 for $127 / $227 / $327 + $350 ETF + tax + ebay unlock fee ($10), you come out in low $500, $600, $700 for 16, 32, 64 GB which is at least $150 savings from buying an unlock one from Apple.

I read that activation fee is waived, and I don't really consider 1 month service as a device cost since I am already on a data plan, so I am currently out of contract and paying data plan monthly anyway no matter what...

even if you buy unlock, you still have to pay the monthly fee anyway, so I consider it my expense, not device cost

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup but when you terminate I think it shuts off your service as well like terminating the line

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you terminate within 3 months (IIRC), they will also charge you full price for your device.
Which carrier charges full retail for the device along with the ETF if that is what you're saying here? Paying the the ETF not only ends the account and contract but also covers the cost that was associated with device subsidies. I've had Verizon and AT&T and they never charged me extra for the device on top of the ETF.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
to my understanding like above posters etf covers the subsidies and will pull you out of contract but not cancel your plan. best plan of action is to call the carrier rather than try to rely on our somewhat knowledge

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Which carrier charges full retail for the device along with the ETF if that is what you're saying here? Paying the the ETF not only ends the account and contract but also covers the cost that was associated with device subsidies. I've had Verizon and AT&T and they never charged me extra for the device on top of the ETF.

AT&T requires payment for your subsidized device if you terminate within that first 3 months to avoid thousands of people doing what the OP has described.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
AT&T requires payment for your subsidized device if you terminate within that first 3 months to avoid thousands of people doing what the OP has described.

Is there something in writing that shows this? I went to AT&T's own website and the only thing they say on there is this: Smartphone: $325 minus $10 for each full month you complete under the service commitment Early Termination Fee Policy There is no mention of this extra fee anywhere as far as I can see.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Maybe they've changed recently.

Of course, if you're paying $299 for a phone an $325 for an ETF, you're paying the same for the phone as if you just bought it unlocked from Apple in the first place, no?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2