Unlimited = 11 GB

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
When I got my first iPhone in 2009, AT&T forced me to pay for unlimited data, whether I needed it or not, so I decided to use it by broadcasting live video to Ustream mad Justin.tv from my car. Last month they sent me a warning that I might get throttled. (I posted the full letter on this forum.) Last night it happened. I received the following text:

ATT Msg: Your data usage is among the top 5% of users. Data speeds for this bill cycle may be reduced. Visit att.com/dataplans or call 8663447584.

I have avoiding using data too much since I got a warning two weeks ago, but last night I downloaded some podcasts in Podcaster and right after got the above message. Sure enough, whereas I had been getting about 5 Mbps downloads, now it's around 120 Kbps. Interestingly, uploads are not affected, so I can still broadcast live video just fine, I just can't stream video downloads.

I checked my usage for this billing cycle and it was 11286 MB, or 11.0 GB.

I have one week until the end of my billing cycle, so I can upload all the data I want until then without consequence.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Sure, just pay the early termination fee one month into a 2-year contract. And buy a new phone on another network.

Also, where can I get 11 GB and talk together for under $40/month?

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
When I got my first iPhone in 2009, AT&T forced me to pay for unlimited data, whether I needed it or not, so I decided to use it by broadcasting live video to Ustream mad Justin.tv from my car. Last month they sent me a warning that I might get throttled. (I posted the full letter on this forum.) Last night it happened. I received the following text:

I have avoiding using data too much since I got a warning two weeks ago, but last night I downloaded some podcasts in Podcaster and right after got the above message. Sure enough, whereas I had been getting about 5 Mbps downloads, now it's around 120 Kbps. Interestingly, uploads are not affected, so I can still broadcast live video just fine, I just can't stream video downloads.

I checked my usage for this billing cycle and it was 11286 MB, or 11.0 GB.

I have one week until the end of my billing cycle, so I can upload all the data I want until then without consequence.

No WiFi? Couldn't you broadcast live video from a computer?

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't have wifi or a computer in my car.

Then maybe don't broadcast anymore. I am going to assume you do this all the time? This is bogging down the network and taking away the quality for others who don't excessively use large amounts of data.

They could switch you to the 2GB plan or terminate your contract if this happens every month. Using 11GB in one month will not get your contract terminated but doing so every month definitely could.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't see them terminating his contract for 11GB. Maybe if he used over 20 or 30GB every month.

I thought he meant I should terminate them. I have not violated the terms of the contract. I am paying for unlimited data, so they can't fire me for using what I pay for. It was they who changed the terms, after I signed up for a two-year contract.

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I thought he meant I should terminate them. I have not violated the terms of the contract. I am paying for unlimited data, so they can't fire me for using what I pay for. It was they who changed the terms, after I signed up for a two-year contract.

Right but there is a clause in all contracts which state "excessive" use. They can drop you at any time. That is state in the terms and conditions which you agreed to. They can also throttle because you are still receiving a connection to the internet and can use it as much as you'd like but its just slower. No where do they guarantee certain speeds.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not bogging down the network or hurting other users when I broadcast late at night. I work the graveyard shift. AT&T is not picking me out personally. This is just the new data cap that was announced a few months ago. They were vague about how much data the cap is. I am merely reporting the precise amount, which is currently 11GB, and the results. I have not seen this posted anywhere else online. I did not violate any rule. In fact, it would be hard to use much more than that now, because they are throttling the top 5% of their customers, including me. They don't say I can't use more data, they're just making it more difficult.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not bogging down the network or hurting other users when I broadcast late at night. I work the graveyard shift. AT&T is not picking me out personally. This is just the new data cap that was announced a few months ago. They were vague about how much data the cap is. I am merely reporting the precise amount, which is currently 11GB, and the results. I have not seen this posted anywhere else online. I did not violate any rule. In fact, it would be hard to use much more than that now, because they are throttling the top 5% of their customers, including me. They don't say I can't use more data, they're just making it more difficult.

Others have surpassed 15GB since the throttling began and have no experienced any reduced speeds. Others have reported throttling for being under 10GB. Its random and if you go over 11GB next month you could very easily not even be notified. As I said before, I could see them dropping you if this continues to happen every month. I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice because no one wants to be dropped and have to go through the hassle of finding another carrier.

I actually read either on these forums or MacRumor forums that a guy had the unlimited plan and AT&T just automatically switched him to the 2GB plan. I don't know what he did, I don't 'know why, but I do know they can do whatever they want. I'll take the throttling any day rather than have them automatically switch me or drop me completely.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I have not seen that in the user agreement. It says they can terminate my data plan after the contract expires in two years. I am not violating any of terms, like unauthorized tethering, spambots or anything like that. They will change your plan for tethering, but I don't have a computer in my car to tether. There is no reason for them to take any action against me, other than what they, themselves, stated:
The bottom line is our customers have options. They can choose to stay on their unlimited plans and use unlimited amounts of data, but may experience reduced speeds at some point if they are an extraordinarily heavy data user. If speed is more important, they may wish to switch to a tiered usage plan, where customers can pay for more data if they need it and will not see reduced speeds.
You could go higher than that because there was a grace period, and it kicked in at different times for different people depending on their bill cycle. Last month I was in the grace period, and I used 12 GB. Now it's over, and I accept that. If they had not forced me to pay for unlimited data years ago, I never would have got addicted to it.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I did a bit of searching and saw that some got warnings when they used about 10 GB. I got that warning when I was between 9 and 10. I also saw two say they were throttled when they reached 11 GB, just like me.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually, that's what I'm paying now, $40/month for talk and "unlimited" data, which is now capped at 11 GB.

In fact, I ended up using several GB more, even while throttled. My normal data speed was restored Thursday, when my new bill cycle started.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually, that's what I'm paying now, $40/month for talk and "unlimited" data, which is now capped at 11 GB.

In fact, I ended up using several GB more, even while throttled. My normal data speed was restored Thursday, when my new bill cycle started.

I personally wont say that they will drop you. However I will say that if they want they can drop you... at&t can terminate any contract at anytime for any reason.. it sucks that it works that way but you signed it and its in there..

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I personally wont say that they will drop you. However I will say that if they want they can drop you... at&t can terminate any contract at anytime for any reason.. it sucks that it works that way but you signed it and its in there..

It's unfortunate that ATT is resorting to this. I have an unlimited data plan from 2008 from when I got my first iphone 3G. I work at home and I am on wifi all the time. I only use 3G when the internet is down.
However, when I am travelling, I use 3G extensively.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site

I just read another forum on tipb.com where an ATT user with unlimited data plan was getting throttled after 2GB.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2