AT&T grandfathered unlimited data user upgraded to NEXT and can ** KEEP ** unlimited data?

christophermn

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm an existing AT&T grandfathered unlimited data iPhone user, in the middle of a 2-year term from buying a 5S on launch date last year.

Last night via the att.com website's preorder page I was listed as "next upgrade eligible' and started the upgrade process to next. After selecting my phone (gold 6 128GB) I was told that monthly equipment fee would be $42.50, which looked right.

When it was time to pick my data plan, to my surprise my unlimited data plan was the default option listed, so I just kept moving on through the order process. Here's part of the email confirmation I got from AT&T:

Code:
This email was auto-generated. Please do not respond.

CHRISTOPHER  XXXXXX - Upgrade

Installment Plan ID:   
XXXXXX
Billing Account Number:    
XXXXXX
Wireless Service Number:    
XXXXXX

One-Time Charges
Services & Fees

Monthly Charges
Phone/Device Apple iPhone 6 (128GB Gold)	$42.50 /mo.
Data Plan Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE	$30.00
Service Discount	-$3.90

Order Summary

One-Time Preorder Charges***	$0.00
Estimated Tax***	$61.84
Preorder Shipping***	$0.00

Total One-Time Charges*	$61.84
Monthly Charges	$68.60
Estimated Monthly Tax	TBD

Total Monthly Charges**	$68.60

$68.60, listed as 'monthly charges' would be the sum of the equipment charge, unlimited data charge, minus my corporate discount. But, this doesn't include my 'voice' service, which I thought would be $40 (and include texts too)....?

This seems to indicate I can keep unlimited data with next, possibly with a $30 monthly charge for data instead of the $25 for 2GB option, with no separate text charge (since next is unlimited voice/txt). That'd push the monthly service charge to $70 in addition to my monthly equipment charge.

Is that plausible? Or will AT&T chop my unlimited data at some point before I get the phone and try to activate...

Any ideas, has anyone else seen this? I've been unable to get through to AT&T support today to actually get real answers.

PS: I did verify that my credit card was already charged the 'tax' amount listed on the order.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't say with certainty, but based on what you've stated above, I'd say you still have your unlimited plan and that it will continue as-is.

christophermn

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Quick follow-up folks, I spoke to AT&T customer support on this.

I can keep my grandfathered unlimited LTE data with the NEXT iPhone 6 equipment installment plan, but in that case my service would essentially stay the same as it was (price/features).

Or, I can dump grandfathered unlimited and just move to the mobile share plan as advertised on their website.

Really, my confusion was I thought doing a NEXT installment pre-order of the iPhone 6 hardware automatically moved my service to the mobile share plans.

I'm probably going to end up dumping unlimited data so I don't have to pay full retail on hardware and continue to pay full price on service. :-(

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Quick follow-up folks, I spoke to AT&T customer support on this.

I can keep my grandfathered unlimited LTE data with the NEXT iPhone 6 equipment installment plan, but in that case my service would essentially stay the same as it was (price/features).

Or, I can dump grandfathered unlimited and just move to the mobile share plan as advertised on their website.

Really, my confusion was I thought doing a NEXT installment pre-order of the iPhone 6 hardware automatically moved my service to the mobile share plans.

I'm probably going to end up dumping unlimited data so I don't have to pay full retail on hardware and continue to pay full price on service. :-(

My understanding is that the Next plan (device purchase) and Mobile Share (service plan) are separate. Again, as I understand it, you CAN do Next on top of your 2-year contract with device subsidy, BUT, if you do that you are, in essence, paying extra (double?) for the device. This is because you must pay the additional device charge for the Next plan, AND you continue to pay for a device subsidy (which you are not using).

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I ordered thru Apple and went on Next and have the grandfathered unlimited and I still kept it, one thing I was worried about myself so I tried it with a 5S before the 6 preorder just to see if the option came up and it stayed the same and viola iPhone 6+ order.jpgiPhone 6+ order.jpg

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
HankAZ is correct, on both accounts. You can enroll in Next for your phone purchase and keep your unlimited data. However, you will not get the discount per line for doing so like you do with the Mobile Share (tiered) plans. e.g. With the mobile share, they usually charge you $15-25 per device on top of the price for the data (right now $100 for 10GB) when you have Next or bring your own device. If you go the subsidized route, it's $40 per device (I believe). With the unlimited data plans, you don't get any discount for bringing your own device or using Next. You pay what you've always paid and also have the next installment on top of it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro