If Apple and Verizon can't cut a deal, why not Sprint?

rbiowa

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
Verizon hasn't always been kind to Apple in their attack ads and to date, the two companies haven't been able to come to terms, so what about Sprint? Doesn't seem to get much attention. I have both a 3GS and a Palm pre. I must say that I receive more 3G area (I travel a lot) and as good, if not better reception on Sprint then I do with AT&T. Check out Sprints map for 3G. Looks very similar to Verizon. Sprint being the almost forgotten 3rd place network would probably be willing to cut a screaming deal for Apple. The 'everything' packages would make customers happy. Sounds like a win-win. I've found Sprint to be reliable and the Customer Service has improved over what I experienced years ago. What do you think?

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I've never been thrilled with any Sprint service in my area. (And the interaction with their CSRs on a client issue really turned me off to them.) That said, I just wish all these stupid exclusivity deals would just go away. Let the carriers subsidize if they want, but the "exclusive" crap has got to end.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Sprint still isn't profitable even after their restructure. Apple isn't going to partner with a company that isn't profitable.

snoopy

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry,but Verizon is going to upset a lot of people.Dispite what a lot people think Verizon can't handle the iPhone.Don't believe me go into a store and look for a ''droid''.YOU won't find it a display version maybe, but not a live phone.Why because Verizon is afraid of a instore comparision.

rbiowa

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
Sprints not profitable, true. However, they're not going away either. CS has improved greatly since 4 years ago. The iPhone is just the product that could bring them back and Apple knows it and negotiate from that position. If they don't negotiate with Sprint, they would leave Verizon in too strong of a position.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I would say don't go to sprint because they seem to have the worse service, and they dont even have a major device bogging down their system.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The Palm Pre couldn't save Sprint. The iPhone can't save Sprint. Sprint is so self-destructive, they are bound on their path.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry,but Verizon is going to upset a lot of people.Dispite what a lot people think Verizon can't handle the iPhone.Don't believe me go into a store and look for a ''droid''.YOU won't find it a display version maybe, but not a live phone.Why because Verizon is afraid of a instore comparision.

Well when inwas in the AT&T store in Tampa they did not have any live phones But same thing with verizon tmobile. Only spint had live phones.and trust sprint craps over AT&T any day of the week. To bad they do not have more customers

gmleonar

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
before anyone comments on this, plz take this with a grain of salt... so currently i am a Pre user and i love the phone, even though i am on my 4th phone, all of which had general malfunctions. howeverthis, this is not the reason i am writing, which is that while i was waiting to get my newest phone, i was talking to the tech guy about the Pre and was asking if sprint was going to do anything to combat the pre plus that was just released on verizon and he said he hadnt heard anything regarding that, however what he said to me next was quite shocking and amazing, yet didnt sound realistic. he said that not only had he heard that the iphone was coming to sprint, but it would be there by the end of the summer. i forget where he said he heard it directly, but it was from a credible source(ie company newsletter) which leads me to believe that there is no validity in the statement what so ever. but i figured i would share this comment, and see if anyone else had heard anything similar... i personally like the Pre setup but if there were ANYTHING that would make me switch it would be the iphone, and im curious to see what happens at the end of the summer after his statement.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't see Apple making a CDMA version of the iPhone. If they're not willing to do it for China, I don't see them doing it for the U.S. And of course if they were going to do it in the U.S, you'd think it would be for Verizon rather than Sprint. Don't get me wrong, I wish Apple would make versions for Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile but that would require 3 new hardware variations (the easiest of which would be T-Mobile since it's just different 3G bands). I predict they won't bother seeking other U.S. carriers until LTE is out (when they can use one hardware model to serve multiple carriers).

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I have a couple points to make on this issue:
1) Verizon is not profitable either. Sure they're exploding in numbers, but they're still losing money every quarter. People are also starting to wise up about their ridiculous plan requirements for feature phones.

2)MOST if not all corporate owned stores have live models. However, when you go into a store and they only have display models, you're probably in an agent store which is not owned or operated by the corporation itself. They do not have the same budget as corporate stores and therefore do not have display models.

3)I've been saying the ENTIRE time that there would never be a CDMA iPhone. For one, they would have to build a completely different version of the device just for VZW and Sprint. This doesn't mesh with Jobs' simpler is better solution. On CDMA they would have to implement a special firmware version to elegantly handle situations where you're on the phone and you want to access internet, but can't. Again, this is messy and doesn't "just work". There would be confusion in Apple stores because they've now added another layer of complexity to the iphone which is what carrier and what plan. Apple really isn't hurting by only having the phone on AT&T. Perhaps they could have more on Verizon, but by and large they're aren't going to start getting shocking new numbers of users. I just don't see it happening. Another thing to consider is that LTE deployment in the states has only been slated for data usage. Voice is still going to be handled on the older GSM and CDMA networks. This means that once LTE is actually lit up, you'll still need to have a carrier specific antennae for voice and legacy data networks. Sorry, it's just not going to happen.

jawe347

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if you guys/gals know this, but Sprint has both GSM and CDMA phones. They do not solely use CDMA like Verizon does. I have the Touch Pro 2 right now and it has both CDMA and GSM capabilities. Once 4G (WiMax) is completely installed there will be no competition for network coverage. Sprint has the best unlimited plans by far and if you're a Premier customer as I am, you can get that $150 rebate just about every year. This is essential given the yearly releases of iPhones. Sprint makes the best sense to have the iPhone. I so wish that they get it. I'd be screaming like a lil' girl at a Justin Bieber/Hannah Montana concert if they did. I would drop this Touch Pro 2 so fast it's not funny.

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is HORRIBLE! I just left them after being a customer since 1998. Even the best deal couldn't keep me with them. They're customer service/tech support is horrible and I was always on the phone with them for HOURS only to be disconnected and have to start over again. I don't miss them for one sec. Service with AT&T has been better also (even though I've only been with them since the 25th of Jan). I say yaaaay for AT&T. Now if only they could have Sprint's price plans.

jzajzz

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is so underrated... Iphone would do so much better on SPrint.. it would definitlely not have the problem that ****ty att got... as far as network goes.. 3g is everywhere just like Verizon... 3g is FASTER than Verizon and more reliable.. Sprint is so underrated..

jzajzz

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
before anyone comments on this, plz take this with a grain of salt... so currently i am a Pre user and i love the phone, even though i am on my 4th phone, all of which had general malfunctions. howeverthis, this is not the reason i am writing, which is that while i was waiting to get my newest phone, i was talking to the tech guy about the Pre and was asking if sprint was going to do anything to combat the pre plus that was just released on verizon and he said he hadnt heard anything regarding that, however what he said to me next was quite shocking and amazing, yet didnt sound realistic. he said that not only had he heard that the iphone was coming to sprint, but it would be there by the end of the summer. i forget where he said he heard it directly, but it was from a credible source(ie company newsletter) which leads me to believe that there is no validity in the statement what so ever. but i figured i would share this comment, and see if anyone else had heard anything similar... i personally like the Pre setup but if there were ANYTHING that would make me switch it would be the iphone, and im curious to see what happens at the end of the summer after his statement.

he was lying to you .. if SPrint was coming to Sprint.. I doubt he'd know about it..