AT&T will catch people who hacked MMS early?

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Someone posted this in the story on TiPB about the AT&T MMS text message today...

"Yesterday I talked to an AT&T rep. She told me that if you phone was hacked for mms come Friday they will be able to determine that,and your warranty will automatically [sic] expire."

How can they determine this? They may if when they turn it on a backlog of 500 pictures go out? But besides that, how can they tell? And you can update your carrier file without JBing right?

cdudek

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, you can update without jailbreaking...you just have to install the most recent carrier file. I wonder if people who change the carrier file back to the original before Friday will be safe.

Also, can't people just say that they switched to a different phone that allows MMS and that's how they sent them?

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, you can update without jailbreaking...you just have to install the most recent carrier file. I wonder if people who change the carrier file back to the original before Friday will be safe.

But how will they know?

That is my question.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't matter what an AT&T rep says, your warranty is an apple issue, not AT&T. I do not believe they can tell if you had a hacked carrier file, your rep is full of poo.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't matter what an AT&T rep says, your warranty is an apple issue, not AT&T. I do not believe they can tell if you had a hacked carrier file, your rep is full of poo.

I didn't talk to the rep, someone posted that they did...

But I didn't think they would know...that is unless you've got a backlog of crap to send off your device and that is a HUGE stretch.

irjoeyy

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Scare tactic. I've found that AT&T reps are routinely full of crap. I honestly feel like they will say any old thing some times..

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
With their ability to ping devices and know what they are by IMEI number, as well as Vendor ID numbers, people would have to be ignorant to believe that AT&T can't tell what kind of data is flowing through your phones.

The bill you receive has an itemized list of data, messaging and voice. All they have to do is have the phone deliver a log file to them that outlines any software upgrades or software installs that have been implemented since the phone was activated.

There is always a way that these companies can tell. I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it is possible. As long as they have access to the OS in a developer manner, they can code software, or even have Apple do it for them through some form of agreement that was signed by both. The phone just needs to tell them that the MMS switch was turned on. If it was before a certain time and date, and the user is not a developer of some sort, then the bells sound and they know.

I am sure that it is much more complicated than that, but I can guarantee you that it is possible.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
With their ability to ping devices and know what they are by IMEI number, as well as Vendor ID numbers, people would have to be ignorant to believe that AT&T can't tell what kind of data is flowing through your phones.

The bill you receive has an itemized list of data, messaging and voice. All they have to do is have the phone deliver a log file to them that outlines any software upgrades or software installs that have been implemented since the phone was activated.

There is always a way that these companies can tell. I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it is possible. As long as they have access to the OS in a developer manner, they can code software, or even have Apple do it for them through some form of agreement that was signed by both. The phone just needs to tell them that the MMS switch was turned on. If it was before a certain time and date, and the user is not a developer of some sort, then the bells sound and they know.

I am sure that it is much more complicated than that, but I can guarantee you that it is possible.

Ok let's get serious here. Yes it is possible. But is it feasible. They can barely implement a feature on a device that has over a million users. You think they have time for that? The ROI on this isn't there for them to do it @ this time. The cost of what they would lose would be much more than what they would gain.

I vote no on the spying @ this point. Later maybe but no now.

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I never said it was feasible. The question posed was how would they be able to tell, not would they.

The technology is there, it is up to AT&T as to whether they want to spend the time and money to implement this or not.

FireFish

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
"Yesterday I talked to an AT&T rep. She told me that if you phone was hacked for mms come Friday they will be able to determine that,and your warranty will automatically [sic] expire."
At least she pretends to actually know what she's talking about. Whenever I call them, its ALWAYS an absolute waste (for support).

I know the answers before calling only to hear some shmoe who feels that they deserve the $187 / MONTH that my wife & I pay for our iPhones.

They proceed to make a total retard of themselves, assuming that you're just more retarded than the average monkey and sound 'so sincere' when they 'apologize for your inconvenience'.

I wonder if we got a poll going here if more than 4% of the people who get such apologies feel any sympathy from AT&T at all. :rolleyes:

devnull_1101

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
they cant look into your data. its called violation of privacy. so no i dont think they can.

That's like saying a IT department in a company can't read corporate e-mails if the need is there because it's a "violation of the employee's privacy".

There is no such thing as private data. Your ISP has legal right to check your e-mails, and what you do with your internet. (Ever notice how some internet providers monitor and limit bandwidth on certain protocols?) I used to work for a ISP, and before I left there was talk about a government required device to look at all e-mails for certain keywords as part of the homeland security business. Now I believe that didn't go through, but am simply using it as a example.

But with internet as my example, the only way for your data to retain any sense of privacy, you need to avoid the middleman of ISP's and get a connection direct with a backbone provider. And even then once you're on their network and something you send hit's the "public side" of the internet it's no longer private data.

So for your data on your cellphone to be "private" you either A) should start your own cell phone company. B) Get something in writing, ironclad, that surpasses even government powers, from your provider/AT&T that states your data will never be looked at.

After all, it's not your data, it's theirs. You're only renting it from them.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok let's get serious here. Yes it is possible. But is it feasible. They can barely implement a feature on a device that has over a million users. You think they have time for that? The ROI on this isn't there for them to do it @ this time. The cost of what they would lose would be much more than what they would gain.

I vote no on the spying @ this point. Later maybe but no now.

adding MMS costs them money.

I think it's more likely they would do something to find out who's tethering without a plan helps them push people to profitable plans/kill people who are costing them money.

don't assume there's the same motivation for different items or even that the same people are responsible for both.

cdudek

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If they could tell who's been sending MMS wouldn't they already know? Why would they have to wait until Friday? And if they could find who's sending MMS, wouldn't they also be able to determine who is tethering? I know that tethering is just using the data plan already on the phone, but there has to be a way to figure it out (i.e. a much higher data usage or a connection being made to a computer). I don't think that AT&T will throw any flags at this point in time.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
That's like saying a IT department in a company can't read corporate e-mails if the need is there because it's a "violation of the employee's privacy".

No, I do not work for AT&T, it is my right to have them stay out of my business. Your example holds no water, hell it's not even similar. In your instance it is corporate email and the IT guy works for the company, I do not work for AT&T and I pay for the data, it is not rented it is bought. Even if it were, If I rent my house from someone, they have no right to enter the premesis, without my permission, accept after they have evicted me. Even if I do not pay my rent, until they go through the process, the property is mine.

legendofdon

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
This is off topic but in your renting example many property owners include a right to enter clause in the rental contract which allows them to enter the property at any time whether or not you approve or are present.

On topic, Apple controls the warranty, not ATT so they can spout whatever nonsense they wish, but that doesn't make it true.

djbbox

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
stack you are getting things confused here, you see; your isp caping your data usage has nothing to do with what i was talking about. your ISP has no right in opening packets of data to extract info (that`s a violation of your privacy) and also i dont think the gov has nothing to do with AT&T business at all and no i`m not renting the data, i`m renting the bandwidth. the data is mine(my pic, my video, etc) if somebody access them, it is violation of privacy.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
This is off topic but in your renting example many property owners include a right to enter clause in the rental contract which allows them to enter the property at any time whether or not you approve or are present.

in Florida such a clause is illegal.

AT&T can tell you have an iPhone on there network and they can tell you sent and received mms, I do not believe they can tell you have a hacked carrier file on your phone. I was sending mms on 2.2 and my warranty was and is intact, as far as apple is concerned.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2