Am interested in an iPhone - advice please!

want_iphone

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi!

I've wanted an iPhone forever (am already on AT&T) and am finally eligible for an upgrade to it. My concern, though, is that by getting one, I'll lock myself into another 2 year contract with AT&T only for the iPhone to move to a better network etc. I've heard a lot of bad things about the iPhone like it can't receive picture messages (I must sound like such a newbie to you guys!), it has bad reception etc. I'm from NYC and have never had a problem with AT&T reception here, but it seems like it gets worse with the iPhone. Despite all these problems, everyone I know loves theirs. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
K

Skywalker

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Test one out. Ask your local AT&T if you can opt out the two year contract extension if the iPhone does not meet your standards. For MMS; you can read many posts on ways to open up this service.

want_iphone

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
thanks!

has anyone tried that with AT&T? I know of a program where you can try the iPhone and switch to the BBerry Bold if you don't like that, but nothing about opting out entirely.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm from NYC and I switched from Verizon (our gold standard here).

Here are my observations:
-Outside performance- same as Verizon to me, I've only had a few calls outside that have dropped or have had choppy reception... since the 3GS came out. Inside is a different story. Depending on where I am... if I have to make an important phone call, I know to use a landline or go outside. Certain areas of my office and my apt, the call fails 8/10 times. There are dead zones. For me, when I'm out and about it's not an issue. Call failed is something I got used to inside. It is rare when I get that message outside.

-Data network is usually good- I use the GPS/maps program all the time and there are only a handful of times where I had to wait on the street due to a bad connection

-3G v. edge. I keep my phone on 3G all the time and for the most part it stays on 3G. For the majority of the time, the iPhone stays on 3G. Again, it's inside, like in my apt. where 2-3 times a week, the iPhone will stubbornly stay with edge for a bit.

-Wait or buy now. I'm like you- always wanted it but nobody knows for certain what will happen in the future. The 3GS rocks and the way I see it, if it indeed does go on to Verizon, I'm hoping the mass exodus will reduce the strain on the 3G network. I bought my 3GS when it first came out so really it's just an extra year of AT&T if the iPhone goes to other carriers.

Overall, I'm happy with making the choice to switch and if I could do it all over again, I'd use AT&T. It can be a pain at times but for the most part it makes calls < accesses the internet.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
While inside try turning off 3G and see if you get an EDGE signal for making calls.

To the OP, you can get an iPhone and return it within 14 days if you find you don't like it. You are going to need a contract for any phone you buy, and it will be awhile before the iPhone goes to Verizon; if ever so you could be waiting for a very long time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77