High data usage billing problem/question

tyler_d3

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, new to the forums and looking for some help with an issue. I'm with Rogers in Canada (but any advice appreciated). Since I got my iPhone (Jan/09) the usage on my bills is 8-10 times higher than indicated on my phone. I would say I?m a ?light? data user. Rogers has been no help. Any ideas/experiences? My bills show 300MB+ per month, which is way out of line. I realize the phone data usage tracking is not comprehensive, but my concern is that the billed usage is far too high for what I do and as a result the discrepancy is more than usual. Thanks in advance.

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem and I guessed it was something to do with the fact that the iPhone connects to the internet as to update the app store, email, etc.

My quick fix was to change the data settings by navigating to: Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network and removing the first letter of the APN under Cellular Data

Basically my Cellular Data APN should be iphone.vodacom.za but I changed it to phone.vodacom.za. When I want to use the internet I just add the 'i' and remove it again when im done.

Hope that helps and works...

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Do you have a data plan high enough to cover your usage, or are you worried about being billed for excess?

iPhone is a data hungry device. Google Maps pulls the graphics via data, it updates all the widgets (stocks, weather, etc.) pings mail servers, and 3rd part apps typically connect at times as well.

If you have 1GB+, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you've got 250MB or less, then we can try and figure out ways to help you out...

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Some more info like what you consider a "light" user are, as well as the apps that you have installed, how many email accounts are active, do you use youtube, internet radio. Google maps was mentioned, IM clients, etc.

These can all lead to possible data dilemmas. I too consider myself a light user (compared to some users I have read about that are using GigaBytes of data), but can run through 300 MB+ in about two weeks time.

tyler_d3

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the further replies, and to answer some of your questions:

Rene: I am concerned specifically about overbilling leading to being charged for excess, as this is a real possibility as I would like to do more with my iPhone. I researched (or so I thought) the 500 MB plan I have and spoke to many people who already have/had iPhones for whom that was more than enough and whose bills are showing drastically lower amounts than mine (e.g., 30-40 MB per month).

Jevangil: "light" to me is I use my phone as a phone(obviously), for text messaging (not excessive), one email client (for which I do not receive many emails), no streaming app uses (internet radio, youtube), no IM clients, google maps occasionally (few times a month), web browsing less than once a day on average and never for long. For third party apps I have: Stanza, Backgrounds, Units, ScoreMobile, Flixter, Shazam, Urbanspoon and WeatherEye.

I just don't see much here that could account for what's going on with my bills.

Thanks again and in advance for any further thoughts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2