using apple maps and CarPlay, when radio is playing, spoken navigation directions don’t mute the radio. I want them to. Is this possible? I have checked all settings I’m aware of. Google Maps does this successfully on carplay.
    03-08-2019 07:07 AM
    Hi, and welcome to iMore. Go to Settings>Maps>Driving and Navigation. Scroll down to Navigation Voice Volume. Change the volume to Normal or Loud Volume. If it is set to “Low Volume”, both navigation prompts and media will play at the same level.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    03-08-2019 08:06 AM
    Hello. Thanks for your reply. I checked my settings and it was already set to Loud. So I guess there is no muting function as works with Google maps in Carplay? (When radio is on and Google Maps gives directions (using Google Maps in Carplay) the radio is completely muted while directions are spoken.)
    03-08-2019 12:42 PM
    Just to clarify, are you using Apple Maps or Google Maps? I'm not sure that it makes any difference, and was just curious. That aside, this may be an issue for Apple Support. Here's a link.
    03-08-2019 12:48 PM
    Apple Maps with carplay. I gave google maps (in carplay)as an example because it completely mutes the radio when it is giving directions.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    03-08-2019 12:52 PM
    Mine only lowers the background audio. But doesn't mute it.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-08-2019 01:09 PM
    Same here with Apple Maps. I don’t use Google.
    03-08-2019 05:07 PM
    Same here with Apple Maps. I don’t use Google.
    I just noticed the setting in the screen grab above that allows users to pause background audio, music, podcasts, etc. when Apple Maps makes a notification. I guess that would accomplish the same as muting, except the user wouldn’t miss any of the background audio content such as a podcast.
    03-16-2019 07:00 PM
    using apple maps and CarPlay, when radio is playing, spoken navigation directions don’t mute the radio. I want them to. Is this possible? I have checked all settings I’m aware of. Google Maps does this successfully on carplay.
    There isn’t a setting for that on the iPhone and if one exist, it’ll have to be from your vehicle’s infotainment system, in my opinion.
    03-17-2019 10:32 AM
    This is how I have mine set and it mutes the music when using CarPlay. As D said it might have to do with my deck but my daughter has a a totally different type of deck, no CarPlay and it mutes hers as well.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    03-17-2019 11:21 AM
    Like yours, the music is lowered while the navigation voice is speaking, however, I can also increase or decrease the volume of the navigation voice while it is speaking without affecting the volume of the music playing in the background.
    Spencerdl and Annie_8plus like this.
    03-17-2019 12:00 PM
    Same here.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    03-17-2019 12:18 PM