Has anyone else had a problem with CarPlay constantly disconnecting?

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Mine froze again twice on the way to work today. So my theory that without bluetooth connection it works, is not true. Worked for 12 hours, but in 45 minutes this morning it froze 3 times.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine froze again twice on the way to work today. So my theory that without bluetooth connection it works, is not true. Worked for 12 hours, but in 45 minutes this morning it froze 3 times.

I beg to differ. In ‘my’ car, CarPlay works with or without a Bluetooth connection.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah others have said that as well. It seemed that for me it worked without issue when Bluetooth wasn't connected, but that proved not to be the case today. I wonder if it is an issue with another app running in memory. Today I had a bunch left open when I was using CarPlay. On my prior trips I force closed everything I wasn't using before hooking it up to the car.

Its a big mystery. Carplay is still not problem free enough for me to tell my wife to just use it for navigating (she uses Nav for everything). Good thing the Kenwood unit still has Garmin built in as well.

R Robertson

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
I had virtually no crashes after switching out my cable (as I reported above). However, I upgraded my phone recently to ios 10.3.3, and now the problem of Carplay crashing is back. I may try to revert to ios 10.3.2. Your results may vary, but think hard before doing this upgrade.

ecr80

May 21, 2012
Visit site
posted earlier in this thread. i have found if I delete the Apple Music app the problem goes away completely. When I install Apple Music and turn on iCloud Music Library the problem returns. Basically if your library is more than 20K songs. Other than deleting apple music/ turning off iCloud music library I haven't found another way to solve. The good news is that I tried the iOS 11 Public Beta with Apple Music installed and didn't have any disconnections.

tim_mills

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
My Kia NIRO has the same problem, my car dealership thinks it's a problem with the apple carplay software. I think it happens when the 4G drops out regardless of whether the music is downloaded to the iPhone. I understand Apple are going to upgrade the phones to ios11 in September with improved carplay. Let's hope it helps it is definitely very annoying.

R Robertson

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
FWIW, Switching back to 10.3.2 worked. Carplay stable as before, although it crashed a couple of times right after I regressed the software. Won't upgrade until ios 11, and then only after I do some research and wait for reports.

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
iPhone SE, haven’t had too many issues, initially 10.3.3 and now iOS 11 beta. Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX takes a while to boot up sometimes, occasionally I literally have to reboot the car to get the thing going. I’ve only had the phone fail to start up CarPlay once or twice, rebooted the phone to get it to work. One or two occasions where it disconnected and restarted the phone in the middle of the CarPlay session, would bet it’s an iOS 11 beta thing. Several drives without a hitch, though—a couple of them 2-6 hours

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
So I installed iOS 11 GM and been using CarPlay all day and haven’t had one disconnect. So fingers crossed 🤞it was just a bug in iOS 10 that was causing this issue.

Sandifop

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Phone Does Not Stay Connected To CarPlay Enabled Infotainment System

This issue remains a problem for me and other CarPlay sufferers, even in the current public release iOS11. A common scenario seems to involve some iPhones currently supporting CarPlay (iPhone SE or iPhone 6) connected to a VW or Honda by USB; however, there are other reports of issues using "Kenwood" and Pioneer (8100 NEX) systems.

- Connect the phone to the head unit via USB to Lightning cable
-- I've used 5 different cables; including the original Apple, 3 different Amazon Basics (MFi approved) and an AudioResearch (AR) (MFi approved)
- Phone will connect to CarPlay and work properly for several minutes
- After a random period of time, the infotainment system screen will stop displaying CarPlay information and report "No Phone Connected"
-- Bluetooth will continue to play music if iTunes was playing
-- This happened only once on my wife's iPhone 6S+ 128GB in 4 months but every time on my iPhone SE 128GB
- Apple replaced my iPhone SE with a new handset and the issue still happens
- I have restored the phone 4 times and the issue still happens
-- The last time I restored the phone, I set it up 'as a new' with the public release OS11 and did not change any settings or install applications before trying. "CarPlay" reported 'no phone connected'
- I have performed a soft reset and 'hard' reset of the head unit.
-- The dealer also performed a hard reset and ensured the firmware was up to date
- This has been an issue ever since I bought this new car 4 months ago (My first CarPlay unit) and makes "CarPlay" unusable with my iPhone SE.

bbb5031

Dec 30, 2017
Visit site
Re: CarPlay Keeps Disconnecting

I have 2018 Honda Fit. Tried three phones 5s, 6s, and 6x plus. The 5s and the 6s work fine. The 6s plus will not connect at all via the USB cable. Bluetooth works fine on all 3. All three are running 11.2.1. The settings are the same on all three phones. I am at my wits end. Since the car and cable work fine with the 5s and 6s it seems to me that the problem has to be with the 6s plus. But I would think that except for the size the 6s and 6s plus are identical. I've restarted and reset the phone multiple times to no avail. I've tried a different cable just in case but that makes no difference. The phone just sits there searching for an "available car". I welcome any ideas or would love to hear that someone else has the same issue.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I have 2018 Honda Fit. Tried three phones 5s, 6s, and 6x plus. The 5s and the 6s work fine. The 6s plus will not connect at all via the USB cable. Bluetooth works fine on all 3. All three are running 11.2.1. The settings are the same on all three phones. I am at my wits end. Since the car and cable work fine with the 5s and 6s it seems to me that the problem has to be with the 6s plus. But I would think that except for the size the 6s and 6s plus are identical. I've restarted and reset the phone multiple times to no avail. I've tried a different cable just in case but that makes no difference. The phone just sits there searching for an "available car". I welcome any ideas or would love to hear that someone else has the same issue.

Have to tried connecting the iPhone 6S Plus using a different vehicle to see if it’ll connect properly?

bbb5031

Dec 30, 2017
Visit site
No, I have not but that is a good idea. I don't offhand know of anyone else who has a car that supports carplay but I will ask around. I could go to a local dealer, I guess.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I have not but that is a good idea. I don't offhand know of anyone else who has a car that supports carplay but I will ask around. I could go to a local dealer, I guess.

I would definitely go to a nearby Honda dealer and ask them to let you connect your iPhone to a similar model car to see if it connects like it is suppose to.

michaelgreason

Apr 17, 2018
Visit site

I think I know the answer to repeated disconnects by iPhone X to CarPlay (2016 Honda Civic EX). I have this problem on occasion. Apple told me to delete all content and reload. It worked for a considerable period, but this is a lengthy solution. Tonight it disconnected again 6 times or so. I pulled over (so I could play legally) and simply turned off the phone and turned it back on again - while disconnected from CarPlay. I had a subsequent half hour conversation where it works fine. Upon reflection I realised I NEVER turn off my phone. It might be a good idea to turn off and reboot periodically.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2