Should users disregard BBM as a thing of the past or test it out if they want?

Elite1

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Actually if you check out the Discover BBM Groups forum on CrackBerry, you will find a ton of BBM Groups started by iOS or Android users.

FYI: So far, iOS & Android PIN's always start with a 7, while BB PIN's start with a 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't need BBM. I don't really "need" most technology pieces I own LOL... but that's what makes us geeks, no? The love of technology!

That's why I am a fan of BBM. I love the idea of being able to communicate with more people. Even though I will admit that my BBM contact list is quite thin, I like the option.

I refuse to allow a love for any one platform kill the opportunity to try something new on another... especially when it is good. :)

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
As far as personal communication (between friends and family) there's a very good chance that one of the devices is a BlackBerry. That said, I also have friends who've moved to iOS or Android and that became WhatsApp users out of necessity, but ended up downloading BBMx when it became available. Is it a gateway to BB users? Perhaps. But no more so than Gtalk (or Hangouts as it's now known) is gateway to Google users.

but - correct me if I'm wrong - people have been chatting on Google before they had even entered the phone industry. So I wouldn't put it in the same gateway category as BBM. And as for Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger (isn't Twitter reportedly also finalising a Chat app?), those are the big ones BBM would have to take on and I don't see them coming out on top by any stretch. Youre (both) right when you say there's even people in android/ios forums sharing PINs, but those are a fraction of people in comparison to the mainstream and probably not the group of people that will decide if BBM as a cross-platform messenger ultimately succeeds or fails. That's going to be determined by the 'normal' phone user, and with regard to those I would still argue that they will only come into contact with BBM if a family member or close friend owns a BB device. And since that number of people is still shrinking I just don't see how BBM can establish itself. Maybe if they brought it to Windows Phone, and also very soon added video chats plus ran a huge marketing campaign to promote. But that doesn't sound like something BB would (/could) do. <although they did place the BBM logo on the Formula1 Mercedes Car, which I thought was a good start ;) >

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess that the information given by the representative at the local store was obviously used to persuade me to choose another OS other than BlackBerry is the only assumption I can come to at this point. I will DEFINITELY be checking into your comment above in hope that the features that I used on a daily basis with os7 will now actually have come to fruition with os10. Thank you for clarifying!

UPDATE: Blackberry Bridge for BB10 was updated yesterday and now you can use SMS on the PlayBook too. Seems like they're proving all the doubters wrong little by little.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: Blackberry Bridge for BB10 was updated yesterday and now you can use SMS on the PlayBook too. Seems like they're proving all the doubters wrong little by little.

I think short of BB10 on that bad boy, it'll be hard to earn back the goodwill already lost.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2