TB3 Dock for 3 2k monitors - 2016 15" Macbook Pro

unashamedgeek

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I've posted this question in other forums and haven't gotten a response so maybe I'm the only one that wants this, but I thought I'd give this a shot.

My current setup is a desktop PC connected to three 2K monitors. I'm connected to 2 using HDMI and 1 using DVI as those are the ports my video card has. I have a 2016 15" Macbook Pro and would like for it to replace my PC, but I want to keep my 3 monitor setup. I see docks coming out that will support 2 4K monitors, but I don't need 4K currently and would prefer to keep my 3 monitor setup.

Anything out now or that you've heard is coming would be awesome. Thanks for your time.
I also am not sure if it was better to post this here or to the Ask Serenity forum.

MG537

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Your current 2016 15" MBP can handle all three of your 2K (1920x1080) monitors without the need of a dock. Just TB3 (over USB-C) cables to whatever connectors are in the back of your monitor.

If you must have some kind of dock to reduce the number of cables sticking out of your new MBP, then both of these are an excellent choice.
Elgato or OWC.

Only downside, you can only connect two of your monitors to either one of those docks.

unashamedgeek

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
If anyone else is looking for this setup, I'm watching the "ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock" that is supposed to be out this month. Some early articles said it would support the new MacBook, but it won't provide enough power to charge so the power cable would still need to be plugged in. I'm waiting for some reviews that I hope might be coming this month.

I'm also thinking of maybe going with what MG537 said and just have 2 monitors off a dock and one direct. Or maybe I should just move over to 2 4K monitors...

unashamedgeek

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm hoping for a dock solution. Using the cable setup would use 3 of my ports and the last port would be used up by the charging cable. Connecting and disconnecting 4 cables each time would be a bit of pain. I'm going to keep monitor the Lenovo dock, but it seems to have just been pushed out another month. Maybe someone at your site will get a review unit for testing...fingers crossed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77