How to configure the Podcasts app?

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
I have an iPhone12. I'd appreciate advice about how to configure the iPhone12 Podcasts app in the following manner:

- Download new podcasts (that I am subscribed to) only via wifi, do not download podcasts via cellular data even if cellular service is available

- Delete listened-to podcasts after a few days (say, 3 or 4 or 5 days)

- Be able to listen to a podcast even when not in range of either wifi or cellular

Thank you,

Steve

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm not an Apple Podcasts user, so my help will be limited to what I see in the Settings app. I use a third-party podcatcher (aka podcast app).

- Download new podcasts (that I am subscribed to) only via wifi, do not download podcasts via cellular data even if cellular service is available
In the Podcasts section in the Settings app, you can change the Cellular Downloads to Always Ask. Also switch Allow Over Cellular for Automatic Downloads. For bonus prevention, you can disable Cellular Data.

- Delete listened-to podcasts after a few days (say, 3 or 4 or 5 days)
I don't see a setting for this.

- Be able to listen to a podcast even when not in range of either wifi or cellular
Simply download the podcast before listening. You can "follow" podcasts if you want your app to automatically download them when new episodes are released.

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Ed7789. I have the settings you mention configured as you suggest. But while some podcasts play OK without wifi/cellular, others pop up a request to enable cellular data.

Does the app you use, podcatcher, function the way I want?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Ed7789. I have the settings you mention configured as you suggest. But while some podcasts play OK without wifi/cellular, others pop up a request to enable cellular data.

Does the app you use, podcatcher, function the way I want?

The app I use is called Overcast. Podcatchers is simply the app categorization.

It does feature all the settings you mentioned, with a caveat. You can set to delete listened podcasts after a period of time – as long as that period is either manually, immediately or 24 hours after completion.

Also, you can’t access Apple Podcasts that are subscription-based (those you pay money for). They are locked to Apple’s app only. Same goes for Spotify. All the other podcasts, you should be able to find in the catalog or subscribe directly using their RSS feed :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77