Hi All:

So, when macOS Big Sur beta 7 (20A5374g) released last week, I installed it (from beta 6). Install was going fine, until, when my MacBookPro was restarting, about ¾ through the start-up bar the computer froze and the fan started going crazy. Did this for *hours* until I cut my losses (I have a pretty recent backup) and held down the power button and shut the computer off.

MBP wouldn't restart, same issue (getting ¾ through and then freezing + fan). So, I restarted in safe boot. No issue here at all! Great, however, the computer would only work in Safe Mode. I ran a full disk utility in Safe Mode, my computer said it was a success. I tried rebooting (not in safe mode) and the issue persisted.

So, I went to developer.apple.com and re-downloaded the beta from there (while in safe mode). This actually did a full re-install of beta 6 (20A5364e), since I believe you need to update to beta 7 from beta 6 and can’t do a full install. My MBP started up fine and normal on beta 6, and everything works as it did before I ever tried updating to beta 7 in the first place. But, of course I have a software update (to beta 7) waiting. Great! ... Except, when I try the software update again (the same 3.61gb update from beta 6 to beta 7) the issue happens *yet again.*

I will likely wait until beta 8 is released to try again (and I am submitting Feedback to apple consisting of this post, basically verbatim), but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SaMaster14; 09-22-2020 at 12:52 AM.
    09-21-2020 11:25 PM
    UPDATE:

Beta 8 was released today, and I am able to do a full install (12.16GB) direct from developer.apple.com.

Crossing my fingers this works!
    Annie_M likes this.
    09-22-2020 12:16 PM
    UPDATE:

SAME issue with beta 8

I guess I’m stuck on beta 6 for a while! Any additional assistance is GREATLY recommended.

I may call Apple support as well and see if they have a solution
    09-22-2020 06:29 PM
    Do you have a malware/virus app running during the upgrade?
    09-22-2020 07:56 PM
    Do you have a malware/virus app running during the upgrade?
    I have clean my Mac X (from MacPaw) installed, but I don’t have it running during the update
    09-22-2020 09:02 PM
    Have you tried a clean install of macOS 11 (Big Sur)?

You might have a preference setting that is making the installation to hang.
    09-23-2020 11:58 AM
    Have you tried a clean install of macOS 11 (Big Sur)?

You might have a preference setting that is making the installation to hang.
    Yes, when I clean install beta 6, it works perfectly.

However, apparently beta 7 and beta 8 cannot be clean installed, they need to be installed over beta 6 (so, for example, when I download the install profile from developer.Apple.com, it installs the 12.16 gb Big Sur and I go through the install process and everything works well. When the computer boots up, it says I have an update waiting (now, beta 8), and that is when I run into issues.

I am not sure what the preference setting that is causing the hang up is, but that is likely the culprit.
    09-23-2020 12:27 PM
    Try this Terminal command:
    Code:
    sudo softwareupdate -ia --verbose
    This will prompt for your administrator password, search for all updates and install them. At the end, it restarts without prompting.

I never was able to update macOS using the graphical interface (it stays stuck at 0%), so this might help your situation as well.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    09-23-2020 12:32 PM
    https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/661453

It looks like I am not alone; and currently no fix
    09-29-2020 01:33 AM