• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

PDF App for IPad

I

iMore Question

Hello,
I am student in university and I am looking for an app for IPad where I can do specific features on my PDF files I get for the lectures:
1. It should be able to annotate PDFs, highlight text, draw with IPad pencil in the pdf.
2. I want to add comments with the IPad Pencil to the PDF, so it should be possible to get free margin on the left and right side of the document, like in Onenote.
3. It should still be a PDF so I can search for words and phrases (that is the problem with OneNote as it converts the pdf to image).
4. I want to add also images next to some pages. The professor sometimes writes on the table, so I want to get a picture of that and attach it at the right position on the pdf.
Onenote was the app which was the closest, but unfortunately it is not able to search in the pdf as it converts it to images.
PDF Expert has good annotation tools and is able to search in the pdf, but there is no margin on the sides so I can draw text with my IPad Pencil.
Is there any app which fullfills all the features?

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
What I discovered is free. Adobe Acrobat Reader. Here is a photograph from the application store.

223c763e4f708aea2232ef2f737045f7.jpg

MbProg Prog

Jan 6, 2019
Visit site
The problem with Adobe Reader is the same as with PDF Expert. You don't have place on the left or right side of you page to draw with the IPad Pencil. You only have a little white margin, if the specific document provides that which is usually not enough. I need something like Onenote where you have much white space on the right side and you can draw with your IPad pencil there. The only problem with OneNote is, that you cannot search for word in the PDF, because it converts the PDF to an image :(

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Adobe Reader is the same as with PDF Expert. You don't have place on the left or right side of you page to draw with the IPad Pencil. You only have a little white margin, if the specific document provides that which is usually not enough. I need something like Onenote where you have much white space on the right side and you can draw with your IPad pencil there. The only problem with OneNote is, that you cannot search for word in the PDF, because it converts the PDF to an image :(

Notability should serve your purpose, in my opinion. If not, I’m sure someone we don’t know will appear and recommend the perfect app within the next few days...

MbProg Prog

Jan 6, 2019
Visit site
@Just_Me_D
Thanks for the reply. Notability has the same problem like PDF Expert. If you want to draw something in the pdf, you are limited to the narrow white side margin of the pdf which is very limited. You don't have the space which OneNote offers. I definitely need more space to draw with the pencil some notes that correspond to texts in the PDF.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

That does not bother me about Adobe Reader. I do not use that application to write on documents.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnyville01