Carplay causes phone to heat up?

I

iMore Question

Does CarPlay cause anyone else's phone to warm up quite a bit? Phone was warm underneath the camera after using it on my 10 minute commute to work streaming music.

Thank you.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
This question has come up before, so I would say yes, in many cases it does. Besides heavy use of radios, both bluetooth AND cellular (as the car moves, and as you change cell towers, the cellular radio has to search for signal, or otherwise just do a lot of work). Add to that a hot car (sometimes), as the sun bakes stuff inside.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Does CarPlay cause anyone else's phone to warm up quite a bit? Phone was warm underneath the camera after using it on my 10 minute commute to work streaming music.

Thank you.

I'm not having that issue, but I'm also using an aftermarket Carplay unit in my car.

Let's ask this. If you put your phone in the same place you normally do in your car and NOT use CP, do you still feel a warmth?

xrock94

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
I'm not having that issue, but I'm also using an aftermarket Carplay unit in my car.

Let's ask this. If you put your phone in the same place you normally do in your car and NOT use CP, do you still feel a warmth?

Hey signed up to reply, well this morning it was only 70 in my vehicle, cool morning. But this happens on both my x and 7, i borrowed a temp gun from work, the back will hit between 90-100 F, right now my 7 is charging in my office and it was at 90 degrees just charging dropped down to 84 now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thank you.

I use CarPlay quite often as well as make numerous 8-hour road trip streaming music via CarPlay the entire way and my iPhone has yet to have heat-related issues with it. All smartphones can get warm on occasion, devices depending on what’s being used at the time.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey signed up to reply,

Excellent, welcome to iMore. When you get a minute, please introduce yourself here:
https://forums.imore.com/new-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

well this morning it was only 70 in my vehicle, cool morning. But this happens on both my x and 7, i borrowed a temp gun from work, the back will hit between 90-100 F, right now my 7 is charging in my office and it was at 90 degrees just charging dropped down to 84 now.

Strange.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Welcome also @xrock94, glad you decided to join! We'll do our best to help you. Also feel free to browse the site for other things that may interest you.

xrock94

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
Excellent, welcome to iMore. When you get a minute, please introduce yourself here:
https://forums.imore.com/new-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

Strange.

I mean on average I can make both phones warm up to 90 by just using safari in my 75 degree office. But at the end of the day when its 85-90 the phone will heat up to 100 just streaming undownloaded music and carplay. No AC blowing on it as I wanted to see what the normal temp was. my phones are generally idling 5 degrees above the temp of the room is that normal? But when i put the 7 on the charger it can heat up to that 90 as well closing spotify even if its not doing anything seems to help...

I just want to know whats normal as this stresses out my anxiety. lol

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
We just got a brand new car and I've spent quite a bit of time playing with Carplay and trying to learn how to use it. I have not noticed any difference in temperature on my 8 Plus, but I will certainly be sure to watch for any changes. (I never noticed it before in previous rentals.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77