How do I make my HomePod shut up?

JOATAMON

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
I installed my new HomePod by my bed yesterday, and it works; I can send audio to it from my iPhone and iMac. The problem is, every time I touch the top of it, it starts playing music. I don't know what music it is playing; Beats Radio, I think. I don't subscribe to iTunes Music.

This is a big problem. It is easy to bump the top. I have a cleaning lady who comes in once a week. She'll clean the thing, it will start playing, and she won't be able to stop it. The damn thing doesn't even have an off switch.

I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of this problem. When I check the Home app, the HomePod shows as "Paused". I've tried telling Siri to stop the music, but still it only paused, and resumed when I touched the top of the HomePod. Eventually Siri suggested that I watch my language. I've reset and reinstalled it several times, but the result is the same. I'm ready to return it to Apple. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

To make matters worse, I'm not impressed with the sound. The bass isn't bad, but the midrange is compressed and boomy. It sounded good while listening to an audio book read by a male author, but I've heard better music from cheaper speakers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed my new HomePod by my bed yesterday, and it works; I can send audio to it from my iPhone and iMac. The problem is, every time I touch the top of it, it starts playing music. I don't know what music it is playing; Beats Radio, I think. I don't subscribe to iTunes Music.

This is a big problem. It is easy to bump the top. I have a cleaning lady who comes in once a week. She'll clean the thing, it will start playing, and she won't be able to stop it. The damn thing doesn't even have an off switch.

I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of this problem. When I check the Home app, the HomePod shows as "Paused". I've tried telling Siri to stop the music, but still it only paused, and resumed when I touched the top of the HomePod. Eventually Siri suggested that I watch my language. I've reset and reinstalled it several times, but the result is the same. I'm ready to return it to Apple. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

To make matters worse, I'm not impressed with the sound. The bass isn't bad, but the midrange is compressed and boomy. It sounded good while listening to an audio book read by a male author, but I've heard better music from cheaper speakers.

1. "Hey Siri, Stop playing music".
2. Stop touching the top of the device and tell the cleaning lady to not clean it.
3. Unplug the device until you're ready to use it.

Either of the above should solve your problem.

JOATAMON

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
1. Been there, done that, gotta T-shirt a coffee mug and a mousepad. Didn't work. Music only stops until the next time I touch it.
2. Not a realistic solution.
3. You're joking, right?

Thanks for trying...:-(

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From my original post, "I've reset and reinstalled it several times..." :confused:
Okay then I recommend you make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to see what remedy they may have for you. Note: There is nothing they can do about you touching the top of the HomePod and activating the it and there's nothing they can do about the cleaning person cleaning it and causing it to activate.

JOATAMON

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
We're not talking "causing it to activate" here. We're talking "causing it to activate AND play music I didn't choose". If this is a feature and not a bug, then I'll be testing out Apple's refund policy.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
We're not talking "causing it to activate" here. We're talking "causing it to activate AND play music I didn't choose". If this is a feature and not a bug, then I'll be testing out Apple's refund policy.

Please do ask for a refund. Clearly there is something you’re doing wrong and blaming the HomePod. It’s also clearly not something you actually want to have in house.

A refund is the best course of action to resolve your issues.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If you simply tap the top of the device, it will play music. If you were listening to something previously, it should pick up where you left off. If you press and hold the top of the device, it will remain silent and await for you to ask it something.

Anyway, check out the HomePod gesture controls via the iMore Blog.
https://www.imore.com/how-control-homepod-touch-gestures

JOATAMON

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Clearly, neither of your "clearly"s is correct. You weren't here, you known nothing about my technical ability, so you're more than a little off base by claiming it is something I'm doing wrong.

You also know nothing of my personal interests, so you have no idea what I might want in my home. If you have technical advice (which I haven't already tried, as stated in my original post), I'd be grateful, but if I want psychoanalysis I'll look elsewhere.

Whether or not a refund is the best course of action to resolve my issues would, I suppose, depend on what my issues are.

JOATAMON

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't playing music before. This occurs after a fresh install. I've reinstalled a couple of times, and skipped the bit of the installation about the Apple Music demo. If I touch it, it plays, period.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I wasn't playing music before. This occurs after a fresh install. I've reinstalled a couple of times, and skipped the bit of the installation about the Apple Music demo. If I touch it, it plays, period.
Being that the HomePod is configured with the same AppleID that's configured on your iPhone AND the fact that you are able to stream from your iPhone and iMac to your HomePod, whatever you were streaming last from one of those devices will more than likely be what gets played on the HomePod when play is initiated. Having said that, I just streamed the song "Hollywood" by Rick James from my iPhone X to my HomePod then I told Siri to stop playing music. After that, I walked over to my HomePod and tapped on the top of it. "Hollywood" began playing where it left off.

JOATAMON

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
I had just set up the HomePod, not once but several times. I wasn't playing music. I certainly wasn't playing Beats Radio, which is what the HomePod decided to play, apparently.

I don't stream music from my iPhone. At home I sometimes stream music from my iMac, where my iTunes Library lives, to an Airport Express connected to my home stereo. In any event, the HomePod is brand new. I got it for my bedroom to eventually stream music to if I can get it working.

I'm going to contact Apple Support tomorrow. Perhaps this is one of those "it ain't a bug it's a feature" deals. If so, I'll be disappointed because I can't live with it as is, but I'll return it and stop worrying about it. I do appreciate your suggestions. If I came across as irritated, it isn't you I'm irritated at. I will admit that Siri did suggest that I watch my language...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had just set up the HomePod, not once but several times. I wasn't playing music. I certainly wasn't playing Beats Radio, which is what the HomePod decided to play, apparently.

I don't stream music from my iPhone. At home I sometimes stream music from my iMac, where my iTunes Library lives, to an Airport Express connected to my home stereo. In any event, the HomePod is brand new. I got it for my bedroom to eventually stream music to if I can get it working.

I'm going to contact Apple Support tomorrow. Perhaps this is one of those "it ain't a bug it's a feature" deals. If so, I'll be disappointed because I can't live with it as is, but I'll return it and stop worrying about it. I do appreciate your suggestions. If I came across as irritated, it isn't you I'm irritated at. I will admit that Siri did suggest that I watch my language...

No harm done. We all have our moments with irritation and frustration. We're human....:cool:

JOATAMON

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
If anyone is curious, I contacted Apple Support about this. The TL;DR version their response was, "It ain't a bug, it's a feature." This is a feature I can't personally live with (as always, YMMV, and no problem), so I returned the HomePod.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77