How to transfer Messages only from iPhone 7 to iPhone X?

I

iMore Question

I want to set up my iPhone X as new device (rather than restore from backup) which I typically do with new devices. I'm searching online for a way to move my Messages only from my iPhone 7 to the iPhone X. I see dozens of websites for a software tool that appears to be the same but branded under different names, such as [redacted], etc. One of the rebranded companies based in China and I'm a little concerned about privacy/security. Anyone know if these tools are legit and/or do they work as advertised? Are there other mechanisms for transferring Messages to a new device?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have the option to sync messages to iCloud, that would be the route to take.

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I looked at their products but the only option I see is for moving messages to a computer, not transferring them back to an iPhone. Am I missing something?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I looked at their products but the only option I see is for moving messages to a computer, not transferring them back to an iPhone. Am I missing something?

Yes you are.
In iTunes you have to make an encrypted backup. Which the software will then analyze and only put those stuff back you want to be transferred to the new device.

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Both my iPhone 7 and iPhone X are on 11.1. However, under the Message app in Settings, neither has the option to sync messages to iCloud which I thought was a feature of iOS 11. Not just greyed out, it's not even there. I'm not clear why this option is absent.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Both my iPhone 7 and iPhone X are on 11.1. However, under the Message app in Settings, neither has the option to sync messages to iCloud which I thought was a feature of iOS 11. Not just greyed out, it's not even there. I'm not clear why this option is absent.

It's an option that Apple is, apparently, still working on. It's not even in the beta version right now (other options we've been waiting for are also missing). I'm married to a programmer/software engineer, and sometimes things are just not ready when the deadline arrives. It's not supposed to happen and certainly not planned that way. Hopefully Apple isn't having so much trouble with it that they decide to scrap the idea altogether.

Technically speaking, we don't recommend using any 3rd party software not officially supported by Apple. At this time there is no Apple supported way to only backup or restore specific things from or to an idevice. If you do use 3rd party software that is not supported by Apple, you do so at your own risk.

Perhaps you can reset everything listed under Reset with the exception of erase all content, uninstall all 3rd party apps that Apple did not already add, clear browser data etc, move your photos to your computer and then delete them from the phone, remove everything from wallet, etc. etc. etc on your old phone and just leave the messages. Then do a new backup and restore that backup to your new phone. Big pain in the butt to do, but at least you can get what you want without putting your security at risk.