Why should Apple put OLED screens on the iPhone?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing suggestions that Apple should move to OLED screens for their iPhones, why ? I understand the way they work (ish !) but to me the main problem is that apparently these screens don't last as long as LCD's and that they are more delicate.
Now I do tend to keep electronics a long time so a short lived screen does not appeal to me,but there must be something in their favour. Can somebody who actually does know, post an answer please ?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: OLED screens

I keep seeing suggestions that Apple should move to OLED screens for their iPhones, why ? I understand the way they work (ish !) but to me the main problem is that apparently these screens don't last as long as LCD's and that they are more delicate.
Now I do tend to keep electronics a long time so a short lived screen does not appeal to me,but there must be something in their favour. Can somebody who actually does know, post an answer please ?

Deeper blacks, less battery use (since it doesn't have to light all pixels up) no screen bleed which is notorious for many LCD screens. Not sure where you heard OLED screens don't last long or are delicate?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

Deeper blacks, less battery use (since it doesn't have to light all pixels up) no screen bleed which is notorious for many LCD screens. Not sure where you heard OLED screens don't last long or are delicate?

Because I was puzzled I looked on the interweb, and of the articles I read, ALL of them mentioned short life in terms of colours fading(especially blue) and two mentioned these screens being delicate. Deeper blacks may matter to pro photographers,and if I've ever seen screen bleed I haven't noticed. Lower battery pressure would be good.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Because I was puzzled I looked on the interweb, and of the articles I read, ALL of them mentioned short life in terms of colours fading(especially blue) and two mentioned these screens being delicate. Deeper blacks may matter to pro photographers,and if I've ever seen screen bleed I haven't noticed. Lower battery pressure would be good.

And all that you read involved devices not made by Apple. Apple usually does things better, once they get around to doing it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

And all that you read involved devices not made by Apple. Apple usually does things better, once they get around to doing it.

This comment seems to indicate the "Hope" syndrome !
as Apple does not make an OLED screen the only information I can gain is of necessity about the screens that ARE made.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've also read concerns about screen burn in (with OLED) like used to happen with CRT projection screens and plasma screens. I sure don't miss the permanent ghost of "ESPN" down the sides of my screen from back when most shows were still in 4:3 aspect ratio and I had a rear projection HDTV!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've also read concerns about screen burn in (with OLED) like used to happen with CRT projection screens and plasma screens. I sure don't miss the permanent ghost of "ESPN" down the sides of my screen from back when most shows were still in 4:3 aspect ratio and I had a rear projection HDTV!

Screen burn in used to be very bad on the early amoled screens. It is nowhere near as bad on the newer OLED screens. That being said, if you are on your phone constantly and keep the same images on you may notice some burn in over time.