Host Link Problems - unsuccessful

I

iMore Question

http://www.imore.com/how-edit-your-macs-hosts-file-and-why-you-would-want

I have a Mac Book Pro. My website designer has sent files for me to review. This is the link provided to me. When I open it, the directions say to click on terminal. When I do that, the directions say to type in sudo nano ... I type that in successfully. Then it says to type in my password. At this point, when I attempt to type it, nothing happens...nothing appears. The connection appears to not be open to be able to type in the password. Please advise. Thank you. Lauren Knode

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
http://www.imore.com/how-edit-your-macs-hosts-file-and-why-you-would-want

I have a Mac Book Pro. My website designer has sent files for me to review. This is the link provided to me. When I open it, the directions say to click on terminal. When I do that, the directions say to type in sudo nano ... I type that in successfully. Then it says to type in my password. At this point, when I attempt to type it, nothing happens...nothing appears. The connection appears to not be open to be able to type in the password. Please advise. Thank you. Lauren Knode

Welcome to iMore!

You are doing everything correct. Now the thing you think is not happening with your password, is actually happening. When you type your password in Terminal it will not show. That is how Terminal works with your password. It is filling it in, it just does not appear. So type in your password and hit Enter when you are done. If you enter it correct it will provide the info you are looking for. If you happen to enter your password wrong it will ask for it again. Just type it in again and hit Enter. Terminal is a powerful tool, so be extremely careful when typing that you enter all info correctly. You do not want to mess up your computer by accident.

I am surprised your designer would ask you to do this if he knew you were inexperienced using Terminal. Another suggestion for you would be to ask your designer if he can provide the files for you in a different manner. Possibly through FTP. Let them know you are uncomfortable using Terminal. I hope this info helps you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to become a member and ask away. I will provide you with any info I can. Thank you!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77