Night shift questions

GloriaBarros

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Does using night shift use battery? Will it save me battery? Can I use it all day? I love the look of it and would rather use it all day! Ty

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have not noticed any difference in my battery usage since using Night Shift. I do not think you will get any extra battery life by using it either. And yes you can use it all day. Just go into your settings and set schedule to and from the same or a minute apart.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
"Extra" battery, sure, but "excessive" I don't think so. The fact that it turns off in low-power mode is telling, but how telling is up for debate :)

Almost everything turns off on low-power mode.....
I can't see how a different white balance could affect battery life.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Almost everything turns off on low-power mode.....
I can't see how a different white balance could affect battery life.

But not everything. If it has no effect, why would Apple disable it?

I don't have any concrete facts that it does (like you don't have any concrete facts that say it doesn't), I'm just stating that it seems to be a conscious effort to disable it in low power mode vs leaving it on.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
But not everything. If it has no effect, why would Apple disable it?

I don't have any concrete facts that it does (like you don't have any concrete facts that say it doesn't), I'm just stating that it seems to be a conscious effort to disable it in low power mode vs leaving it on.
Well, as a developer the only software routine I could be aware of is the one checking the time to compare to the setting you set...
But I clearly don't have any laboratory data to establish how much computational power it requires.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, as a developer the only software routine I could be aware of is the one checking the time to compare to the setting you set...
But I clearly don't have any laboratory data to establish how much computational power it requires.

It's probably minimal, but who knows?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple may not know! Having night shift go off for low battery may have just been precaution. Just in case! They can't seem to tell us why it's so.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Apple may not know! Having night shift go off for low battery may have just been precaution. Just in case! They can't seem to tell us why it's so.
iOS developers absolutely knows how much computational power Night Shift requires.

Apple never disclosure certain technical explanations, but that doesn't mean they don't know.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Does using night shift use battery? Will it save me battery? Can I use it all day? I love the look of it and would rather use it all day! Ty

The color of the screen has no effect on battery life.

The fact that it turns off in low-power mode is telling, but how telling is up for debate :)

I've read that although minimal, it would be the service running in the background that checks for location when using the sunrise and sunset setting. I would think location services being shut off while in low power mode would be the culprit.

The best solution, IMHO, is swiping up from the bottom of the screen and enabling night shift from there, rather than using the sunset to sunrise setting.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've read that although minimal, it would be the service running in the background that checks for location when using the sunrise and sunset setting. I would think location services being shut off while in low power mode would be the culprit.

I set my Night Shift to manual (timed setting, vs sunset to sunrise) and disabled all location. I still had the night shift option.
Turned on low power, and it disappeared. So while it could be tied to location, there are ways to disable all those things and still use it.

I was also curious, and PB5 is when it was added to turn off/disable Night Shift in low power mode. Wish this was something we were aware of to watch in PB1-4 :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77