Can I silence texts at night from "Favorites" contact?

I

iMore Question

I have a 90 year old mother in failing health and keep my phone on at all times and by my bed at night. I enabled Do Not Disturb for everyone but Favorites contacts (my family members) in case of "the call". I have been awakened by delayed texts from family during the night. Is there a way to silence texts but not phone calls from "Favorites" contacts?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting because my DND feature silences everything except calls from Favorites. Here are my settings

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423419889.011003.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have mine set to silence always when in the scheduled DnD... Works for me... All I get is calls from Favorites...

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same situation. Please know that calls without caller ID also will be blocked. You might miss phone calls from health care facilities this way. I never found a way for a work around.
I hope you have some quality time left with your Mom!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same situation. Please know that calls without caller ID also will be blocked. You might miss phone calls from health care facilities this way. I never found a way for a work around.
I hope you have some quality time left with your Mom!
The workaround is the repeated calls switch... repeated calls within 3 minutes of the first will not be silenced...hopefully a health care facility will call again before the 3 minutes lapses...

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, but if they call son x and son y in between in attempts to reach any family members that might not work.

That is why I now rarely use DND, just hope my friends are kind enough not to call me during inappropriate hours. Only after night shifts when I sleep during the day I use DND and hope I'm alerted by one of my favorites :)

Blocking no caller ID numbers makes me nervous in this situation. But that's me :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, but if they call son x and son y in between in attempts to reach any family members that might not work.

That is why I now rarely use DND, just hope my friends are kind enough not to call me during inappropriate hours. Only after night shifts when I sleep during the day I use DND and hope I'm alerted by one of my favorites :)

Blocking no caller ID numbers makes me nervous in this situation. But that's me :)

Add the major health care facilities to favorites. How many could there be that might call between 10pm and 6 am?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I am assuming repeated calls from the same number is required, to break the DnD protocol. What if the Hospital PBX, uses a different extension for every outgoing call.
You could silence the text ringtone altogether, before you go to sleep.