How can I delete emails on my iPad without deleting them on the server?

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
A "WTF" moment - managing email

Usually things on iPad work just fine, but I just ran into something that doesn't... either that or I don't know how to do this.

I can't figure how, for the life of me, purge old Gmail emails on my wife's iPad without deleting them on server and without having to select a whole lot manually one by one.

On Android devices and on the Windows Mobile phone I had before you could set the mailbox limit and the OS would purge the emails exceeding this limit.

On iPad, it seems the mail happily syncs every single freaking email since the time you set up the account. My wife now has over 35,000 (yes, thousands) taking up over a gig.

If I delete & re-set the account this would probably do the trick but there's got to be a simple more straightforward way !

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: A "WTF" moment - managing email

Gmail no longer has push notifications in the native mail app, so there's no way to select how far back messages should load.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: A "WTF" moment - managing email

Usually things on iPad work just fine, but I just ran into something that doesn't... either that or I don't know how to do this.

I can't figure how, for the life of me, purge old Gmail emails on my wife's iPad without deleting them on server and without having to select a whole lot manually one by one.

On Android devices and on the Windows Mobile phone I had before you could set the mailbox limit and the OS would purge the emails exceeding this limit.

On iPad, it seems the mail happily syncs every single freaking email since the time you set up the account. My wife now has over 35,000 (yes, thousands) taking up over a gig.

If I delete & re-set the account this would probably do the trick but there's got to be a simple more straightforward way !

Try to change the settings in your gmail account ( gmail.com) by going to settings> forwarding and POP/IMAP> IMAP access at the bottom, has an option to limit messages in the IMAP folders under folder size limits. Maybe that should work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77