iphone 4s will only charge on a laptop

I

iMore Question

iphone 4s less then a year old just stopped charging from my desktop computer running Windows 7. I plug it in via usb and nothing happens. Plugged in to another desktop running Wiindows XP
and it shows up in My computer and I can access the pictures but it won't charge. Plugged it in to my laptop at work and it charges fine. Fired up a 10 year old HP laptop running Windows 7 and it charges from that. Seems like it will only charge from a laptop. Tried 3 different Apple usb cords on the desktops and nothing. Haven't tried a wall adapter or my car charger yet. What gives ?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Do your desktops have iTunes on them? It should charge without it, but I'm just asking. Does it work on one of the Desktops at work?

trnawrench

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The Windows 7 desktop has itunes installed I tried to restore the phone but itunes wouldn't see it. Have not tried any desktop at work yet

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a USB issue try another port ? Reboot computer ? Delete USB Hub from device manager and then scan for hardware changes it will reinstall the USB drivers then try connecting again

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
iphone 4s less then a year old just stopped charging from my desktop computer running Windows 7. I plug it in via usb and nothing happens. Plugged in to another desktop running Wiindows XP
and it shows up in My computer and I can access the pictures but it won't charge. Plugged it in to my laptop at work and it charges fine. Fired up a 10 year old HP laptop running Windows 7 and it charges from that. Seems like it will only charge from a laptop. Tried 3 different Apple usb cords on the desktops and nothing. Haven't tried a wall adapter or my car charger yet. What gives ?
I don't know what ports you are plugging them into meaning location but it is VERY important to always use the USB ports in the back because they have more power than front or side ports.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what ports you are plugging them into meaning location but it is VERY important to always use the USB ports in the back because they have more power than front or side ports.

Yes. This makes perfect sense. On the laptop all of them provide the same amount of power, but on the desktop the back is better. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well it is a matter of 5 ms on a desktop and much lower. I have a 7 port hub that sits on top of my PC but it is powered so I get the same as I would as I was using the back
Ports.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well it is a matter of 5 ms on a desktop and much lower. I have a 7 port hub that sits on top of my PC but it is powered so I get the same as I would as I was using the back
Ports.

Yeah. That's why its preferred that you plug in wired printers and other devices into the back ports instead of the front ports.

trnawrench

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Have always used a 7 port Belkin hub. Plugged my phone in to the front port on a desktop at work and it charges'after reading
the suggestions plugged it in to a rear USB port and it worked. Thanks for the help very strange that all of the sudden the hub wouldn't
work anymore but everything else plugged in to it does

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77