2013 Macbook w/ Retina: Dual 13" or Quad 15" Processor

I

iMore Question

Hello,

I've been searching so many forums and hoping to get some feedback on my upcoming purchase of the new 2013 rMBP. I'm making a (serious) upgrade on a mid-2007 MacBook.

Use:
I have recently been learning web development and design. I am also hobby photographer looking to move into a more professional capacity. So I need something I will be able to grow into over the next couple years. I also do a bit of video and music editing from time to time, though not as often as coding, graphic design, or photo editing. (These are all things my current laptop can barely handle.)

I am looking for something that I can grow into over the next couple years. I know for a fact that I am opting for the 256GB hard drive with 16GB RAM. I have an external monitor as well as external hard drives to work off of and for backup.

However, since I'm still fairly new in my computer-based pursuits, I am a bit unsure of which processor to choose. It seems the difference between the dual-core options are negligible; frankly if it's worth it to upgrade to the i7 dual-core, it's worth it to bite the extra $200 and upgrade to the 15" i7 quad-core. So I'm looking at either the 13" standard 2.4GHz i5 dual-core or 15" 2.0GHz i7 quad-core processor.

My question is this:
Is the extra $500 worth it to make the upgrade? Or will the dual-core provide me with enough headroom for the next few years as I develop into a more professional capacity? I do most of my work from home so transportability really isn't an issue. My budget isn't exactly huge, but I would rather spend the extra money now than have to trade-in and spend even more on an upgrade later. Alternatively, I don't want to shell out the extra $500 now if the dual-core will get me by.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Heavy duty 3d work and coding can both benefit from multiple cores. Unless you are doing that kind of 3d work however, the dual core should be sufficient.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2