Can I have two totally separate calendar apps?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You can use the native app and add multiple calendars ie
Gmail and iCloud each will sync to each own server and then in the calendar app you can select what calendar to view or view both at once etc.
Thank you for going a bit further to give some better understanding which is my fault for not going that far but I stand behind my answers back to pink. It works because I make them work and have since Fantastical was reviewed by the Blog a long time ago and never have any problems with them. The of course in your native App you have home and work to separate as well, My bottom line is they work if you make them work as Peligro expanded on. Thank you.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You can just use multiple iCloud calendars and deselect one in in each app.

For instance, my fantastical setup:

View attachment 40119

If I deselect all but 'Home' the others are still available in the default calendar.app.
So if I deselect 'Home' in de calendar.app Fantastical is the default 'Home' calendar.
Thank you very much and by the way you have your Fantastical calendar app set up exactly like mine except I don't use the Birthdays in this calendar. I sure appreciate the screen shot along with your explanation added to Peligro. If you research a bit you can make it work.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry it works for me so nothing personal but it is possible.

:) no need to apologize Jags...so I stand corrected. I had no idea that you could do what you've done with the cal app like that. I just figured that if you didn't give permission that the app wouldn't "behave" properly. I'm glad you shared this piece of info, I'm always up to learn something new :yes: :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok. So it sounds like the main reason you are looking for separate calendar apps is that you have enough calendars that you are out of unique colors.
I think the best solution has already been suggested. Just use a different app and in it toggle the calendars you want to view and in the main calendar app also toggle the ones you want to see. They will all still sync to the main calendar app but you will only see the ones you want to.
I would agree with this now that the OP has given a very thorough explanation on what is holding him back. Sounds like we are all correct in what we told him from me to Pink and then some. The OP has the info, Now up to him to decide how to configure.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to Pink, Peligro and Karen for helping me help the OP....LOL :) We all gave it our best shot. Good luck Tiny. Hope you figure out the best way that works for you and apologies somewhat on my part if any confusion or not going as far as I should have.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah ok, I think I thought you were just referring to the native app. I didn't realise you could deselect items from the native calendar in the second app.

Is Fantastical the one everyone recommends? Further to that I cannot find it in the app store.
Fantastical I would say would be one of the most popular calendar apps yes.

Capture.PNG

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Fantastical is a really nice calendar app I've used on & off depending on my mood. For the most part I use the native calendar, but when I feel like using a 3rd party cal, Fantastical is my #1 choice. Take a look at it and see if you like the appearance of it.

Here's the link to it:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantastical/id575647534?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Sent from my pink-a-licious 4S
Great job. I gave him a screen shot and you gave him the link so now I hope he can find it. Thank you all for the assistance everyone. :)

Tiny-T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Ah, I didn't realise it was an iPhone only App and I was searching for iPad only apps.

Unfortunately at first glance Fantastical isn't ideal-on looking at the month view there's no way of telling which days have entries, is that correct?

I was hoping for something very similar to the native app which, on the iPad, shows me the titles of each entry on each day.

Can this be done in Fantastical, or another calendar app?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It might be in your benefit to go to the app store and search calendars for iPad and spend some time reading in front of you where each app you find is capable of doing and it's individual features. This way as much as not one of us minds the questions and answers, It will help you to refer back better and even read the comments from the actual users which has always been important to me before I get an app I have to pay for along with the member forum comments. How about trying that and reading the features until something jumps out at you. The you let us know. Best of luck and we are still here to help you.

richu75

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately at first glance Fantastical isn't ideal-on looking at the month view there's no way of telling which days have entries, is that correct?

Yes, fantastical presents little dots underneath a day that has entries. Each dot has the color of the calendar the entry was made in.
It's focused on the limited screen 'real estate' of the iPhone, so it might not be the best solution for an iPad.

fantastical2.jpg

Please don't judge the pink/purple entries, I've been hit with the Barbie House bug :mad:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
:) no need to apologize Jags...so I stand corrected. I had no idea that you could do what you've done with the cal app like that. I just figured that if you didn't give permission that the app wouldn't "behave" properly. I'm glad you shared this piece of info, I'm always up to learn something new :yes: :)
It is all good for both of us and i still miss ya. You just don't spend as much time with us anymore. It makes me sad....:(

schurch545

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I also would like to have a separate calendar on my macbook pro. My native one has all my personal dates and I would like to have a separate one for only business...specifically to make myself a construction flow chart.
I could put it on the native one, but if there are more than 2 items on each day, the rest are hidden. I want to be able to see business activities for every day, not hidden.

So far in this thread I haven't learned if that is possible. I looked for Fantastical, but don't think it's available in the USA.

PrivacySecurity

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Are there any for the iPhone. I cannot deal with anything that syncs when I don't specifically want it to, and it should definitely have it's own calendar as part of an app that is a "calendar app"! Please any help, I want my things separate so I can deal with them separately. I feel like their answer is: "Of course you can have that, you just need to have two separate phones (that you never let link in anyway)." Does anyone know any independent calendar app that will not force you to sync it with the phone's calendar ? I can deal with needing to make a fake account (i.e. not give the internet anymore personal information than what they're going to tear out of my device themselves) for sign-up/ sign-in. Anything, please help. thank you

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are there any for the iPhone. I cannot deal with anything that syncs when I don't specifically want it to, and it should definitely have it's own calendar as part of an app that is a "calendar app"! Please any help, I want my things separate so I can deal with them separately. I feel like their answer is: "Of course you can have that, you just need to have two separate phones (that you never let link in anyway)." Does anyone know any independent calendar app that will not force you to sync it with the phone's calendar ? I can deal with needing to make a fake account (i.e. not give the internet anymore personal information than what they're going to tear out of my device themselves) for sign-up/ sign-in. Anything, please help. thank you

The native Calendar app can do what you're asking. Simply disable the toggle next to "Calendar" in your mail settings. You'll still be able to add and edit events, but those events will not sync to an account.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77