How do i delete contacts on iphone 5 ios 7?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, 16 replies and no actual response to the scenario where there is no delete button present when one hits 'edit.'

So, 16 replies that are categorically NOT helpful.

No delete button I would guess then that the contacts are synced some how .. Check your settings find how they are syncing and turn off contacts. It will ask remove or keep on the phone .. You can press remove ..

I would then go to where ever they are syncing from and edit or delete them so then they will not sync to the phone
Example if it's gmail go to your gmail and delete the contacts from their.
This question is really not that hard yet people seem to have a hard time understanding the concept. That the contacts are being pushed to your phone from whatever service or email you have setup

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Yawstring

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I found the normal way to delete but it's not working in my case. A little back ground:
I found my record in the Contacts app to have merged with another record. It now contained both birthdays, duplicate phone numbers, etc. The list of all contacts then used his first name with the note that it was me.

I've edited the record but it's still flaky. I scroll to the bottom and find that there are links and when I delete them, there is some odd behavior.

I would like to delete both my record and the other record but the delete option isn't always available and when it is, it doesn't delete the contact.
Where to from here?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I found the normal way to delete but it's not working in my case. A little back ground:
I found my record in the Contacts app to have merged with another record. It now contained both birthdays, duplicate phone numbers, etc. The list of all contacts then used his first name with the note that it was me.

I've edited the record but it's still flaky. I scroll to the bottom and find that there are links and when I delete them, there is some odd behavior.

I would like to delete both my record and the other record but the delete option isn't always available and when it is, it doesn't delete the contact.
Where to from here?

If you have more than one email account configured with your device, more than likely, contacts from those accounts are displaying and showing up as duplicates. Simply go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and disable the contacts for all configured accounts except one, preferably the one that contains the most or all of the contacts you associate with regularly. You can send an email to those contacts from ANY configured email account on your device. Anyway, after you've removed/disabled/unsynced the contacts from all but one of your email accounts, you should be able to delete any contacts in the list that you no longer need by tapping on the contact and then tapping on "Edit" and then scrolling down to the bottom and tapping on "Delete Contact".

Rebecca Durnal

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I think it it partly due to the fact that my phone, iPad and Mac are linked through the cloud. I don't need or want my entire address book in my phone. I also want to get rid of Facebook contacts from my phone but can't do that either.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I think it it partly due to the fact that my phone, iPad and Mac are linked through the cloud. I don't need or want my entire address book in my phone. I also want to get rid of Facebook contacts from my phone but can't do that either.

You can delete Facebook contacts very easily. Just disable it in settings - Facebook
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399391546.696321.jpg

debbiemoyer

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I had the same thing happen - a large number of contacts loaded on my phone - I am guessing they are from FB
I did not even have an icloud account so they are not there to download to my phone
I have tried unlinking the contacts on my phone then going back in and then clicking the delete button, did not work, they are still showing up
This is my 1st smartphone so I am a real newbie to all of this.

namiwon

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Very easy everyone. It depends on where your contacts have synced from. I have a iPhone 5c. It automatically downloaded all my contacts from Facebook and email. So, to delete all at once, do the following:
1) go to settings
2) first open "mail, contacts, calendars" box
3) next click on your email account
4) contacts will be an option, turn it off And say "yes".

To remove FB contacts follow the exact same steps although instead of choosing "mail, contacts, calendars" check "Facebook"

Hope this helps!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 8 email accounts on my phone. Only my default Gmail account has contacts toggled on in settings. Also, I have contacts toggled on in iCloud. In Facebook in settings, I have contacts toggled off. I have no contacts problems.

TammyAS

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,
have just managed to do this :

On your iPhone go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, & Calendars> then select your email account (mine is Gmail)> then TURN OFF the contact sync.

All your contacts which have appeared through your email contacts should disappear.

Hope this helps! x

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the contacts are associated with an email account, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars and disable the button next to contacts. You will be asked if you want to keep the contacts on your device. Choose to delete them as stateD in the post just ABOVE yours.

preston0518

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
As someone who had previously unlinked Facebook under Settings from my calendars and contacts and then turned off sharing contacts via ICloud I also couldn't find the delete button under my individual contacts. Instead I was told under Contacts in the top left corner click "Groups" and uncheck "All Facebook" to unlink all those contacts from my phone. That took away everybody that had been added after I upgraded and it synced all my Facebook and ICloud info which was hundreds of contacts at once. Hope this helps :p

Gid77

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: How do i delete contacts on iphone 5 ios ?

Thanks to those who explained that the massive contact list came from Facebook. When I unchecked Facebook, my problem was solved!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do i delete contacts on iphone 5 ios ?

Thanks to those who explained that the massive contact list came from Facebook. When I unchecked Facebook, my problem was solved!

I'm glad you got the issue resolved, and thank you for the update. Take care...:)

Johane L

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
My iphone4, ios7 is synching to my FB. I don't mind having my family and close friends contacts in my phone, but I don't need the contact info of my "web only" friends on my cell. How can I unsync/delete them?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do i delete contacts on iphone 5 S?

I want to delete some contactsfrom my IPhone 5S. There is no delete button.

1. Initiate the Contacts app
2. Select the contact you want to delete
3. Select "Edit"
4. Scroll down to the bottom and then select "Delete"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2