No more USB power adapter with Apple Watch

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand Apple is trying to reduce their carbon footprint, but the assumption that customers have a dedicated adapter is a mighty big assumption. How do y’all feel about this being removed?

Agreed and I’d really like to know the rationale behind the decision.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Ah then I may have completely misinterpreted things.

My bad. Apologies, all.

The magnetic charging cable is included. It’s the USB adapter that is not.

82b8015061e315b4248fc8ab1e068676.jpg

Source: https://www.apple.com/ca/watch/compare/#mn_p

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Surely if anyone’s going to buy a new Apple Watch, then they’ll already have an iPhone and a usb charger, indeed who hasn’t already got several usb chargers, be it Apple or other manufacturer.
Just use one you’ve already got with the charge cable that comes with the watch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I understand Apple is trying to reduce their carbon footprint, but the assumption that customers have a dedicated adapter is a mighty big assumption. How do y’all feel about this being removed?

It's about time. I've thrown away the last few I've received from phones and watches, and I always buy better ones anyway.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Surely if anyone’s going to buy a new Apple Watch, then they’ll already have an iPhone and a usb charger, indeed who hasn’t already got several usb chargers, be it Apple or other manufacturer.
Just use one you’ve already got with the charge cable that comes with the watch.

That’s a heavy assumption!! Not everyone has the luxury to have many just laying around the house. Also, Apple introduced Family Setup. If someone purchases an Apple Watch for someone they’re taking care of, that does not have an iPhone, they’ll need to purchase a charging brick. The brick not being included isn’t huge for me, but I know I’m not the majority here.

It's about time. I've thrown away the last few I've received from phones and watches, and I always buy better ones anyway.

Why not donate them to shelters or something, instead of tossing them? Someone less fortunate could probably use them.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That’s a heavy assumption!! Not everyone has the luxury to have many just laying around the house. Also, Apple introduced Family Setup. If someone purchases an Apple Watch for someone they’re taking care of, that does not have an iPhone, they’ll need to purchase a charging brick. The brick not being included isn’t huge for me, but I know I’m not the majority here.

I did think that Apple should offer to include a charger free of charge to anybody who wants one. I hope that they decide to do this at some point.

Why not donate them to shelters or something, instead of tossing them? Someone less fortunate could probably use them.

That's not a bad idea and too bad I can't go back and tell my old self.

That said, I still think that this is a net-plus idea. So many people already have chargers, very few people are buying phones for the first time, but, as I said earlier, if Apple included an option to throw in a charger for people who really need one at purchase time, that would be better.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I am still using the Watch cable that came with my Watch series 2. The cable that came with my Watch series 4 is still in the box, unopened. I keep it as a backup.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
One question I've had recently, that I don't recall seeing an answer, is if the charging cable will be the same with the Watch 6? I haven't seen where Apple has announced a new replacement charging cable, leading me to believe that it is simply a change inside the watch, just wondering if anyone has heard an official answer?

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
If they were going to eliminate the charging brick, I wish that they would have changed the cable from USB-A to USB-C so I could plug it into mhy Mackbook Air to charge...

~S

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

And now I see that Edition watches will still come with USB power adapters. I am pretty sure that my next watch will be Titanium, so that means I may still get one. Maybe by the time that I buy one Apple will eliminate them for those models, too.

ReVu30

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
To first time Apple Watch users, this isn’t fair! Now they will have to spend extra money to buy one. I use the extras for traveling. Having another would come in handy, in case I leave it or it breaks. I would hope that Apple will be giving them to those that need it without charging, but......

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77