Reconsidering my Apple Watch

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I got the Nike + edition back in the fall. I got the GPS only model. Now that weather is getting better, and the bike is calling, I am thinking about trading in for the cellular model. A few questions if I do.

1) Would you recommend getting one now, just months away from the release of the next?

2). Do you get a second number, or does it use your phone’s number?

3). For Verizon customers, how much a month is it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I got the Nike + edition back in the fall. I got the GPS only model. Now that weather is getting better, and the bike is calling, I am thinking about trading in for the cellular model. A few questions if I do.

1) Would you recommend getting one now, just months away from the release of the next?
Yes. I recommend getting the newest Watch now, especially if it’s not something you’ll switch out annually.

2). Do you get a second number, or does it use your phone’s number?
When you register the watch with your carrier, it’ll get a non-working phone number for account purposes, but when you make and receive phone calls, it’ll be with the same phone number as your iPhone.

3). For Verizon customers, how much a month is it?
$10

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with D, the the latest model. The display improvements alone make it a worthy upgrade from its predecessors.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I find the Apple Watch a so good product that it is preventing me to change my iPhone for an Android. It's simply the best iPhone feature right now, and the one I most use and depend nowadays.

I really doubt Apple will present any serious innovation in 2019 Apple Watch. So, if you want to change it right now, I really can't see why you should not do it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I find the Apple Watch a so good product that it is preventing me to change my iPhone for an Android. It's simply the best iPhone feature right now, and the one I most use and depend nowadays.

I really doubt Apple will present any serious innovation in 2019 Apple Watch. So, if you want to change it right now, I really can't see why you should not do it.

Even if they did, I would argue that a majority of watch wearers will not switch them out for a newer model as often as they would an iPhone. I sure as heck am not. I kept my original series Watch until I opted to get the Series 3 cellular model several years later. I did, however, take a look at the Series 4, but decided that the the improvements weren’t enough to warrant upgrading from my Series 3.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Even if they did, I would argue that a majority of watch wearers will not switch them out for a newer model as often as they would an iPhone. I sure as heck am not. I kept my original series Watch until I opted to pet the Series 3 cellular model several years later. I did, however, take a look at the Series 4, but decided that the the improvements weren’t enough to warrant upgrading from my Series 3.

Yeah, I'm one of those original series Apple Watch owners who is still using it and it serves me well. I have been thinking about upgrading lately, but I would like for it to receive updates a little longer.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
If you're really after the cellular model then I think the trade-in value of your Series 4 GPS only would make it worth the switch since that's what you desire. I personally wouldn't worry about the rumored Series 5 which is still five months away. Instead I would focus on getting what meets your needs now. JMO...my best to you in your decision!!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
My wife and I both got the S3 in May 2018 and we got the LTE models but didn't activate LTE right away. While at dinner one night we decided to try LTE. A year later we never looked back. Love to be able to go on my walks and bike rides and run errands with just my watch and car keys. I don't think we'll ever go back to GPS only.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Even if they did, I would argue that a majority of watch wearers will not switch them out for a newer model as often as they would an iPhone. I sure as heck am not. I kept my original series Watch until I opted to pet the Series 3 cellular model several years later. I did, however, take a look at the Series 4, but decided that the the improvements weren’t enough to warrant upgrading from my Series 3.

Exactly this.
I have the series 3 and when the 4 came out I went and bought one. (Un)fortunately they didn’t have it in Space Grey and I got another color to see if the series 4 was worth getting / keeping.
After a few hours I decided it was not a worthy update, so I went back and returned the watch.

I will be getting the series 5 this fall though.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Love to be able to go on my walks and bike rides and run errands with just my watch and car keys. I don't think we'll ever go back to GPS only.
Bike rides mostly is why. But, it would also be nice for the gym and quick errands. Also, I’m a truck driver, and going to check in at a customer would be nice not to carry my phone in, just in case dispatch calls.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I bought the series 3 a month before the series four was to be released and saved a ton of money on the SS Cellular model.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I prefer having cellular. I had series 3 and upgraded to the 4 when I got the XS Max. I will be hanging onto the 4 for a very long time. Suits my needs. I have very small wrists and the 40mm is perfect for me. It does more than the series 3 so was worth it to me.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Ended up pulling the trigger today. Got the Nike+ version again, this time in Space Gray with a Sports Loop band. However, Apple wouldn’t let me do a trade in, since it is the current generation. I probably will be posting it for sale in the marketplace here later this week. eBay and Letgo will also be options to sell, and help offset the cost.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2