apple watch series 3 exercise app not syncing with activity app

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So I used the Workout app on my series 3 yesterday for the first time and sent on a walk. Not really sure if you'd call this a "brisk" walk (per Apple's explanation) but it faster than a normal leisurely walk:

IMG_3635.png

To me, that was a brisk walk.

However, that activity did not sync into the Activity app:

IMG_3636.png

IMG_3637.png

From the official Apple support page I came across this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8212983

Anyone else encounter this?

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I experience something similar to this as well. I'll go on 3 - 4 hour hike along a river with a elevation gain of 600 and the exercise ring only records 45 - 60 minutes of exercise activity.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I experience something similar to this as well. I'll go on 3 - 4 hour hike along a river with a elevation gain of 600 and the exercise ring only records 45 - 60 minutes of exercise activity.

Ok, thanks. Glad to know it's not just me then.

I mean, I understand Apple's explanation:
"To credit progress towards your Exercise goal, the Activity app aims to identify activity that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk. This requirement applies both during general daily wear and when recording workouts via the Workout app."

I would think a heart rate above 100 continuously would indicate a brisk walk, run, bike ride, etc., but I guess not. I'm going to try it again with a 3rd party app and see if I get any different results.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you were to ask me, I would say that a 19:15/mile pace is not quite a "brisk walk", no matter what your heart rate is. I think I've read that a "brisk walk" corresponds with a pace of about 3.5 mph, which is a pace of about 17:10 per mile. (Also, Apple may be measuring relative heart rates, and, if your resting heart rate is high, then 100 bpm may not be enough of an increase to be called "brisk").

The truth, though, is that Apple really hasn't specifically defined what "brisk" is. I'd try walking a bit faster to see if that registers in the green ring, though.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I am just now starting to use the Activity and Workout functions of my Series 3 watches. I plan on tracking my 5 mile run this afternoon using the workout feature. I’ll report back how well it works. It didn’t work very well last night when I was strength training. I didn’t use the workout function thinking it would detect that I was working out automatically. It recorded a few minutes of exercise during a 45 minutes non-stop lifting sesssion. (I don’t believe in resting between sets)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am just now starting to use the Activity and Workout functions of my Series 3 watches. I plan on tracking my 5 mile run this afternoon using the workout feature. I’ll report back how well it works. It didn’t work very well last night when I was strength training. I didn’t use the workout function thinking it would detect that I was working out automatically. It recorded a few minutes of exercise during a 45 minutes non-stop lifting sesssion. (I don’t believe in resting between sets)

If you are not using the workout app, the watch checks for heart rate about every five minutes or so. When you are using the workout app, it checks continuously - so, yes, using the workout app should more accurately measure/approximate effort.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I’ve noticed it will give you credit for exercise when you’re not really exercising. Probably from walking fast enough to elevate your HR. I’m a fast walker so that makes sense.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I’ve noticed it will give you credit for exercise when you’re not really exercising. Probably from walking fast enough to elevate your HR. I’m a fast walker so that makes sense.
Yes, the green ring counts a minute for any activity that is the equivalent of "a brisk walk" whether you are using a workout app or not. The only exception is if you are doing an "Other" workout - then it counts every minute as green ring exercise (for some reason I'm not quite sure I understand.)

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
It seems to have tracked my run fairly well. I’ve always guessed that course to be 5 miles based on how long it takes me to run it. I seem to be getting slower now that I’m over 50.

4b25447ad0211c546928a672c40b07a6.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77