Apple Watch Series 3 vs. Samsung Gear 3 Frontier

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have been an Apple Watch guy since the original launch and loved them all. But I have become intrigued with the Samsung Gear S3.

I am going to wear them both for the next week and see how they stack up. Today was my first day and I went for a 3 mile hike through the woods and both watches had the step count almost identical and my heart rate was also very much the same.

Battery life was also a wash as both seem to be handling the load easily. I have had them both on for about 4 1/2 hours so far and both are at 93% battery left.

I am looking to see if either watch is significantly better at something over the other. So far they are matching up nicely. I have it paired to a Galaxy Note 8.

I am mixing my business calls between both phones to try to keep that even..

Any Apple Watch fans ever try another premium smartwatch? and if so, how did you like it??

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
My coworker, has a Gear watch (not sure which, definitely NOT the latest) and it does not work with his new iPhone. Originally he had it on a Note 3 (or maybe 5), but his wife bought him a new phone and got him an iPhone. Despite claims that it works with iPhone, he can't get his to. :(

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Do you always carry two phones? If not, it may come down to which phone you prefer.

No, I have my 8+ as my daily driver, but like playing around with other phones. The Note 8 is an amazing phone, but it could never replace my Iphone.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
My coworker, has a Gear watch (not sure which, definitely NOT the latest) and it does not work with his new iPhone. Originally he had it on a Note 3 (or maybe 5), but his wife bought him a new phone and got him an iPhone. Despite claims that it works with iPhone, he can't get his to. :(

It can sync to an iphone, but only about half the features work and it is hardly worth it. Unfortunately, you really have to match your phone to your watch.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the AW3 LTE and I’ve had the Gear S3 Frontier. I really liked the Gear S3. I like the look, the screen and the rotating bezel is so great for interacting with it. I used it with a Note 5 and the S8+. As I’ve gone back and forth with the Note 8 and iPhone 8 Plus I’ve thought about picking another one up, but I won’t. I like my Apple Watch 3. I do use the LTE and I have apps for fitness and work that I use that the Gear doesn’t have. As much as I enjoy using both the Note 8 and the Gear 3 I just find the iPhone 8 Plus and AW3 is a better combo for my needs.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the AW3 LTE and I’ve had the Gear S3 Frontier. I really liked the Gear S3. I like the look, the screen and the rotating bezel is so great for interacting with it. I used it with a Note 5 and the S8+. As I’ve gone back and forth with the Note 8 and iPhone 8 Plus I’ve thought about picking another one up, but I won’t. I like my Apple Watch 3. I do use the LTE and I have apps for fitness and work that I use that the Gear doesn’t have. As much as I enjoy using both the Note 8 and the Gear 3 I just find the iPhone 8 Plus and AW3 is a better combo for my needs.

I totally agree with you. The fact the IPhone 8+ is my daily driver and I am so locked into the ecosystem, the AW is the way to go for me.

The look and the build of the Samsung is great and paired with the Note 8, it is a great combination

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I wold like to add that after 2 full days with the Gear 3 using the GPS each day for a workout and 2 full days of work, I still had 58% battery left and the AW had to be charged, so on that point the Samsung came out on top

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I made the switch hearing my Samsung Watch would work with the iPhone. It was meh. Ended up getting Apple Watch. And then decided when the cellular came out to get it. I like the AW better. Also looks nicer on my wrist whereas the Samsung is more masculine in my opinion. Am gifting my Samsung to my best friend letting her find out how great smart watches are. I can’t wear a regular watch. Haven’t in over two yrs

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well... I would recommend an Apple Watch for iPhone users and an S3 for Android (primarily Samsung) users. Its not because I like one device more than the other, its that the watches are intended to be an extension of a person's phone. I wouldn't expect an S3 to be better than an Apple Watch when connected to an iPhone. However, if you have an iPhone and an Android, or two Android phones, I'd recommend the S3 since it works with both Androids and iPhones, while the Apple Watch won't work with anything other than an iPhone.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well... I would recommend an Apple Watch for iPhone users and an S3 for Android (primarily Samsung) users. Its not because I like one device more than the other, its that the watches are intended to be an extension of a person's phone. I wouldn't expect an S3 to be better than an Apple Watch when connected to an iPhone. However, if you have an iPhone and an Android, or two Android phones, I'd recommend the S3 since it works with both Androids and iPhones, while the Apple Watch won't work with anything other than an iPhone.

Another good option for those of us with both would be the ticwatch 2. It works great on iPhone and Android!