watchOS 4— What's NOT to like. . .

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
robertk328 said:
I hate stand timers. Turn those dang things off you’re not the boss of me.

LOL I'm OK with them, and am missing them. I can't be as active as I'd like, and being slightly addicted to closing the Rings, they're really helpful. I look at the Activity chart showing the days and that one broken Ring jumps out at me, glaringly, mocking me. And you can't 'make up for it'.

Now I'll be haunted about not getting my daily 'Longest Stand' notification for another 100+ days. :crying:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had one today. And, apparently, there were three other hours when I did not stand enough but did not receive the reminder.

Just an update - I’ve received stand notifications the last two hours. I’m not sure what happened earlier today, but now it seems to be back to normal for stand notifications.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Another issue I'm noticing: this afternoon I had notifications go off on the phone rather than the watch, even though the watch was unlocked and paired just fine and the phone was locked and in my pocket. I tried restarting the watch, but it took restarting the phone to get it working right. I think that this is there second time it's happened since the 4.0 update.

This is a particular pet peeve of mine, because when the watch is paired and unlocked, I *NEVER* want notifications to come to the phone. I want them only to go to the watch *UNLESS* the watch is off my wrist. I never want a notification sound on my phone if the watch is unlocked, even if the phone is unlocked and I am actively using it. That's the number one reason I got the watch in the first place - to have discrete notifications on my wrist rather than on my phone..

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Another issue I'm noticing: this afternoon I had notifications go off on the phone rather than the watch, even though the watch was unlocked and paired just fine and the phone was locked and in my pocket

Ditto, except the phone was on the desk and not in my pocket. It only happened maybe three times. I did the regular voodoo but switched to another Watch before I could tell if it was fixed.

doogald said:
That's the number one reason I got the watch in the first place - to have discrete notifications on my wrist rather than on my phone..

Lockstep. Until 4.1, I'll have to stay at iOS 11/wOS 3.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I was surprised this morning on my first workout with OS 4 that the exercise ring fill notification came as I finished my 30 minutes in the middle of the workout. That never happened on OS 3 for me - those notifications always came after I finished the workout. So, a small improvement?

That's funny that you and Mac Guy like this change. I don't. I prefer to not get notifications of any kind when running. (Which, BTW, is why I don't want LTE.) Of course, I'm already getting used to it and in no time I'll be completely ignoring it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
That's funny that you and Mac Guy like this change.

I like it because my Outdoor Walks are often under a time constraint. I've almost always closed my Move and Stand rings or will soon, without time being an issue.

But if my pace drops, the Exercise time accrues more slowly, increasing the Outdoor Walk time, which is seldom possible. And I don't want to walk around the house like I'm crazy man.

Now if Apple gave me a Taptic warning that my pace was dropping, then the 'Exercise Ring Closed' would have little value for me. At least this way I don't have to check my Watch as often, which is annoying since just raising my wrist doesn't show Green Ring progress. The ERC notification isn't exactly what I want but it's a big help and was a pleasant surprise.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I like it because my Outdoor Walks are often under a time constraint. I've almost always closed my Move and Stand rings or will soon, without time being an issue.

But if my pace drops, the Exercise time accrues more slowly, increasing the Outdoor Walk time, which is seldom possible. And I don't want to walk around the house like I'm crazy man.

Now if Apple gave me a Taptic warning that my pace was dropping, then the 'Exercise Ring Closed' would have little value for me. At least this way I don't have to check my Watch as often, which is annoying since just raising my wrist doesn't show Green Ring progress. The ERC notification isn't exactly what I want but it's a big help and was a pleasant surprise.

Do you walk around in your house?
You can add current pace to your workout app, and you can tell if you’re walking too slow or too fast. 10-13 minutes/KM still counted towards my exercise ring.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
You can add current pace to your workout app, and you can tell if you’re walking too slow or too fast. 10-13 minutes/KM still counted towards my exercise ring.

Ok, if I'm inferring correctly, there's no way for me to know the minimum pace the Workout app sees as 'brisk'. So I have to experiment to see what pace counts toward my Exercise ring, note that pace, then keep checking it do see if I'm ahead, behind, or on point? I appreciate the suggestion, but that's far more tedium than I care to do.

It may be more beneficial to get an app that lets me set a pace tone and experiment on TPM to keep me in the green. Once I do that, I can probably use iTunes to fine the same in BPM and try it with music.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok, if I'm inferring correctly, there's no way for me to know the minimum pace the Workout app sees as 'brisk'. So I have to experiment to see what pace counts toward my Exercise ring, note that pace, then keep checking it do see if I'm ahead, behind, or on point? I appreciate the suggestion, but that's far more tedium than I care to do.

It may be more beneficial to get an app that lets me set a pace tone and experiment on TPM to keep me in the green. Once I do that, I can probably use iTunes to fine the same in BPM and try it with music.

Yep! No worries.
I’ve been doing walks at 100BPM, and it does add up to the Exercise ring.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Still can't just raise my Watch while on Workout and see my Exercise ring status, but I didn't expect any improvement on that front. But I didn't expect a step back (npi) in the navigation.

The third party app Workouts++ is now free and the new update lets you configure exactly what is on the display for each workout type, including adding any of the ring statuses to the display in its workout.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/workouts/id1182551958?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2