Usefulness

iGore313

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
What do you use your Apple Watch for? Is there anything that it makes easier?

I have became very interested in getting an Apple watch and I am not really sure why. I was never interested until the series 2 was announced. Now I am kind of obsessing over it. I was just curious what everyone uses theirs for.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've got a first generation... use the exercise and health for motivationa and tracking...other stuff, notifications, email, etc is a bonus.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I use mine for work and daily use. At work it is really convenient as I can leave my phone in my desk but still have access to all my messages and calls. I use it to monitor my activities as well. It has become one of my most useful devices. It sure is nice not to have to carry my phone with me all the time.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Have only had mine a few days but being able track workouts and do music playback without wires while I run is the main one (the apps still need work but it'll get there). I like the activity rings because even though I run, I can spend a lot of the rest of the day sat at my desk so any reminder to move is good. I've always used the iPhone reminders app for my shopping list, ticking off items as I go; I can now do the ticking off on my watch without the risk of dropping my phone. I find that generally it means my phone stays in my pocket for much more of the day, I don't need to keep looking at it for notifications. None of this is essential or impossible without the watch but it's nice to have.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response. How far away can you be from your phone and still review messages?

I am in an all concrete building and can usually get around 70-75 feet before I lose connection. My desk is located centrally and covers virtually all of the company area.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
How far away can you be from your phone and still review messages?

You can exceed typical BT range if your phone and Watch are on the same WiFi network.

Besides it's solo features, your Watch has some additional functionality without your phone if it can connect to a known network (one your Watch and phone have connected to before.

You can verify it's connected to the 'net by pulling up Control Center. Instead of the iPhone icon in the upper left corner, you'll see a cloud.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
What do you use your Apple Watch for? Is there anything that it makes easier?

I have became very interested in getting an Apple watch and I am not really sure why. I was never interested until the series 2 was announced. Now I am kind of obsessing over it. I was just curious what everyone uses theirs for.

I get it so I can get notifications without having to pull out my phone. Plus I always wore a watch so makes sense to go this route and have the notifications right on my wrist.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My main reason was also for getting notifications so I didn't have to go to the phone.

I also used my phone for a timer for various tasks one or two to several times a day. The Timer on the Watch made this very convenient and doesn't need the phone at all.

Then there was answering a call when the phone wasn't nearby. I don't carry it from room to room, so I can handle a quick call from the Watch, or get in on the Watch while I make my way to the phone.

I never used Reminders much or entered Events into Calendar. But the Watch makes it easy and so convenient, I do, often.

Cleaning around the house, I use it to control iTunes from the computer. And on a walk, I sometimes leave the phone behind and just use my Watch, stored music, and some BT headphones.

Once I started using the Watch, I found hints and tasks that encouraged me to use the Watch more.

When I get my Philips Hue lights, Siri will make it easy and convenient to crash the compound.

Last edited:

iGore313

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My main reason was also for getting notifications so I didn't have to go to the phone.

I also used my phone for a timer for various tasks one or two to several times a day. The Timer on the Watch made this very convenient and doesn't need the phone at all.

Then there was answering a call when the phone wasn't nearby. I don't carry it from room to room, so I can handle a quick call from the Watch, or get in on the Watch while I make my way to the phone.

I never used Reminders much or entered Events into Calendar. But the Watch makes it easy and so convenient, I do, often.

Cleaning around the house, I use it to control iTunes from the computer. And on a walk, I sometimes leave the phone behind and just use my Watch, stored music, and some BT headphones.

Once I started using the Watch, I found hints and tasks that encouraged me to use the Watch more.

When I get my Philips Hue lights, Siri will make it easy can convenient to crash the compound.

I am glad to hear about the calendar. I am hoping the watch would inspire me to use my calendars more, so I stop forgetting things.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77