Apple Watch calls and ringing, should it ring with my phone?

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Apple Watch calls and ringing

Just wondering every time I get a call my watch rings but so does my phone is this normal or should my watch ring only my phone does be locked and in my pocket just would have thought only the watch would have rang only

Can someone clarify this

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apple Watch calls and ringing

Yes, that is normal, however, you can mute the Watch, if you'd like.

samduffy

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

ok cool so to confirm the watch ringing and the phone together at the same time is normal behaviour.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I actually like it that way. Don't want to miss a call. I've had a few times when the phone has been ringing a good bit before the watch starts notifying me.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Yup! That's normal for phone calls, it's just alerting the user whether he/she want to pick up the call from the iPhone or the Watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

I actually like it that way. Don't want to miss a call. I've had a few times when the phone has been ringing a good bit before the watch starts notifying me.

I've notice something similar once or twice, but the delay to the Watch was short. Otherwise I wonder why Apple thinks this is necessary.

The Watch is on your wrist and functional- the Watch and phone know this. So it makes sense to me that only the Watch should alert. The phone, if in another room, could be answered by anyone nearby, causing the "I got it!/No, I got it!" thing.

If the call is answered on the Watch, it can be pick up by the phone. But if it's answered on the phone, can it go back to the Watch? Is it the same as a landline- "I said I got it. Now hang up!" Landline phones ring in all rooms because the house/phone doesn't know where you are. Your Watch does.

DaleJrGirl

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Both of mine we're ringing yesterday. I just got a call today and the watch didn't ring with the phone. I haven't messed with anything. Anyone know why? I'm on wifi at home.

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have mine set, on purpose, to vibrate and not ring when a call comes in.

In case anyone else wants this too: On the phone tap on the Watch app: My Watch > Phone: Custom, Show Alerts off, Sound off, Haptic on.